Whip up a tropical treat in no time with this Pina Colada Smoothie recipe. A simple blend of freezer and pantry staples results in an irresistibly smooth, frothy beverage that will transport you straight to the beach. If you start now, you can be enjoying tropical flavors in less than 10 minutes!
When you need a recipe that will transport you to the tropics with one sip, this pina colada smoothie recipe is perfect!
This isn't just any ordinary smoothie, it's a burst of tropical paradise in a glass, and the best part? It's incredibly easy to make!
Whether you're dreaming of a beach getaway or just looking for a fun way to start your day, this Pina Colada Smoothie is sure to hit the spot.
- Canned Coconut Milk: If you're out of canned coconut milk, a good substitution could be coconut cream for a richer flavor or refrigerated coconut milk for fewer calories. If you don’t have any of these, pineapple juice is also a great option.
- Milk: You can use coconut, oat, nut, or dairy milk in this smoothie recipe.
- Frozen Pineapple Chunks: If you don't have pineapple, frozen mango chunks would also work well here. You could also use fresh pineapple if you happen to have it.
- Frozen Banana: This is our natural sweetener and texture enhancer. Frozen avocados can also give your smoothie a creamy texture without altering the flavor too much if you're not a fan of bananas.
- Plain Yogurt: This adds a protein punch and enhances the creaminess of the smoothie. If you're vegan or lactose intolerant, you could substitute this with a dairy-free yogurt or even a scoop of your favorite vegan protein powder.
- Vanilla Extract: This is optional, but I think it gives healthy smoothies an extra depth of flavor.
How to Make a Pina Colada Smoothie
For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
Start by adding the coconut milk, your choice of milk, frozen fruit, Greek yogurt, and a splash of vanilla extract into your blender.
Process until you have a smooth and creamy mixture.
Don't forget to taste your creation. If you think it needs a little extra sweetness, feel free to add your preferred sweetener.
Garnish your smoothie with some shredded coconut and a slice of pineapple.
Tips and Tricks
- Freeze Your Fruit: This little trick is a game-changer. Using frozen pineapple and banana not only makes your smoothie super cold and refreshing, but it also gives it a thick, creamy texture without needing any ice cubes! I always keep a stash of chopped fruit in my freezer.
- Sneak in Some Greens: Want to add a nutritional boost to your Pina Colada Smoothie? Try adding a handful of spinach or kale. A ½ cup of frozen broccoli is also surprisingly good - you won’t even know it is there!
- Sweeten to Taste: While I find the natural sweetness of the fruit is usually enough for me, don't be afraid to add a touch of honey, maple syrup, or agave syrup if you prefer your smoothies on the sweeter side.
- Make It a Meal: Looking to turn your smoothie into a satisfying meal? Add a scoop of your favorite protein powder for a pina colada protein smoothie. A ½ cup of oats is also a great addition.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
More Smoothie Recipes to Try
- Raspberry Smoothie: Enjoy a burst of berry goodness in our Raspberry Smoothie, a delightful blend that reminds me of sunny summer picnics with my kids.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie: Who said smoothies can't feel indulgent? Our Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie is like a dessert in a glass.
- Cherry Mango Smoothie: For those who love a tropical twist, the Cherry Mango Smoothie is a vibrant, refreshing treat.
- Cucumber Apple Smoothie: If you're looking for something truly refreshing, our Cucumber Apple Smoothie is just the ticket. It's as crisp and cool as a morning walk in the apple orchard.
Piña Colada Smoothie
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup milk coconut, oat, nut or dairy
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 banana frozen
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For topping: shredded coconut pineapple chunks
- Place the coconut milk, milk, pineapple, banana, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract in a blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Taste, and add sweetener if desired.
- Garnish with coconut and pineapple and serve immediately.