The first time I heard of making chickpea salad, I was a bit skeptical. When I finally tried it, I was blown away! This Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe is one of my go-to lunches. With smoky almonds and a slight kick of heat, this one never gets old.
I've talked before about how since becoming a mother I've had a tough time committing to a workout schedule. Although I need structure to stay on track, I resist it with every inch of my being. I hate following a "program" because I always want to feel like my life is on my terms.
This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't need that structure where I am "supposed" to do something on a given day to follow through and do it. I envy people who can just wake up and choose what they feel like doing for physical activity in a particular day, but left to my device, my choice is always nothing. The only times I've ever been successful are when I've made a commitment that I was socially accountable for in some way.
With that said, I'm nervously starting the new Hammer & Chisel program on Monday.
I'm a little excited and hopeful, because I feel committed at this point in my life to making fitness a part of it for good. I think it is large because I'm less concerned with the mirror and more facing the fact that I'm going to be 45 this year and that the rest of my life is going to be a whole lot more pleasant if I'm in good shape.
Since I know so many of you are fitness buffs and have done the 21-day Fix (which has roughly the same meal plan), I've got to ask: Do you have any tips for me? Recipes you've used in the program that you would like to share? Leave me a comment here, on Facebook or shoot me an email!
Looking forward to the journey!
In the mean time, I've got a great vegan sandwich recipe for you that uses the almonds from this post. Enjoy.
Recipe Inspired by Thug Kitchen.
Avocado Chickpea Sandwiches with Smokey Almonds
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas drained and rinsed (about 1 can)
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo homemade mayo or organic mayo
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- ¾ cup smokey almonds
- 12 sliced gluten free bread
- for serving Lettuce or Sprouts, Tomato
- Combine chickpeas and avocado in a medium bowl. Mash with the back of a fork. Add mayo, lemon, maple syrup and Sriracha and stir until well combined. Add in onion, celery, dill and almonds.
- To serve, toast bread and place chickpea mixture on one piece. Top with lettuce/sprouts, tomato and remaining bread.