If you're looking for a quick healthy and delicious sandwich that can be made in under 10 minutes, this Chickpea Salad Sandwich is the perfect recipe for you! It is packed with nutrient-dense and flavorful ingredients like avocado, chickpeas, and plenty of greens. And it's also vegan and gluten-free. So if you're looking for a healthy and delicious sandwich, this Avocado Chickpea Sandwich is the perfect recipe for you!
When you are looking for a delicious sandwich that will leave you feeling great, this Avocado Chickpea Sandwich is perfect!
This delicious sandwich delivers on flavor and also packs a nutritional punch.
Creamy avocado and chickpeas pair perfectly with smoky almonds, red onion, celery, and dill to create a "vegan chicken salad" that doesn't require sacrifice.
Plant-based or not, you are going to love this recipe.
- Chickpeas provide a great canvas that enables you to create a flavor profile that is perfect for sandwiches.
- Avocado is a key player in this Avocado Chickpea Sandwich as it provides healthy fats and a creamy texture.
- Maple syrup helps to balance out the acidity of the lemon juice
- Sriracha adds a bit of heat.
- The smoky almonds provide a great toothsome crunch.
- Red onions provide a crispy crunch and a little bite.
- Celery adds a textural element with a mild flavor.
- Chopped fresh dill gives this sandwich a really refreshing aromatic flavor.
- Gluten-free bread keeps this sandwich recipe gluten-free.
- Lettuce or sprouts add the right pop of freshness.
- Tomato adds a punch of citrus and acidity.
Tips and Tricks
- When choosing an avocado, look for one that is dark green and slightly firm with a slight give when squeezed. A little secret to verifying the ripeness when you're in the grocery store is by looking at the color under the stem. If the stem is still intact, you can remove it with your thumb to uncover the color underneath. If it comes off too easily, chances are, the avocado is overripe. If it's hard to budge, the avocado isn't ripe. If it comes off with just a slight pressure and it's yellowish green underneath, you likely have caught the avocado at the perfect ripeness for eating.
- If your avocado is too ripe, it will be super easy to mash but may turn the sandwich filling into an unappetizing brown color.
- If your avocado is not ripe enough, it will be difficult to mash and may not add the desired creaminess to the sandwich filling.
- If you are having difficulty removing the pit from the avocado, use a sharp knife to slice into the avocado lengthwise and then twist the two halves apart. You can also use a spoon to remove the pit from an avocado.
- Be careful not to overmix the chickpea salad filling or it will become pasty.
One great way to serve this Avocado Chickpea Sandwich is with a side of greens and some crunchy sliced tomatoes. You could also try serving it with a side of fruit or some roasted vegetables.
If you're looking for something a little heartier, you could try serving it with a side of soup or chili.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can this Avocado Chickpea Sandwich be made ahead of time?
Yes, this Avocado Chickpea Sandwich can easily be made ahead of time. Simply prepare the sandwich filling and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. The color may not be as appealing on day two, but it is still safe to eat and will be delicious.
When you're ready to eat, simply spread the filling on some bread and enjoy!
Can I use a different type of bread for this Avocado Chickpea Sandwich?
Yes, you can use any type of bread that you like for this Avocado Chickpea Sandwich.
This Avocado Chickpea Sandwich will last in the fridge for up to 2 days. Simply store it in an airtight container (without the bread) and it will be good to go!
How To Make A Chickpea Salad Sandwich
First, start by toasting your bread.
This will make the Avocado Chickpea Sandwich extra tasty and crispy. Then, mash the avocado and chickpeas in a bowl.
Next, add mayonnaise, lemon, maple syrup, and Sriracha.
Stir until it's well combined and spreadable.
Spread it on one slice of toast. Add your lettuce, sprouts, and tomato and enjoy!
Top with another slice of toast and enjoy.
Avocado Chickpea Sandwiches with Smokey Almonds
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas drained and rinsed (about 1 can)
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo like veganaise
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- ¾ cup smokey almonds or regular almonds
- 12 sliced bread gluten free if desired
- for serving Lettuce or Sprouts, Tomato
- Combine chickpeas and avocado in a medium bowl. Mash with the back of a fork.
- Add mayo, lemon, maple syrup and Sriracha and stir until well combined. Add in onion, celery, dill and almonds.
- To serve, toast bread and place chickpea mixture on one piece. Top with lettuce/sprouts, tomato and remaining bread.