Burger night just got better thanks to these crazy-good Blackstone Smash Burgers. You can’t go wrong with a simply seasoned juicy patty seared to perfection. Make this easy recipe once, and you will be hooked.
If you are a burger lover like me, you will love these Blackstone smash burgers. With a crunchy charred exterior and juicy, flavorful interior, this is a burger you will find yourself craving again and again.
This recipe is perfect for an easy weeknight meal or casual outdoor entertaining. Serve it with classic fixings, or mix things up with your favorite burger sauces and toppings.
Either way, once you make smash burgers on a Blackstone griddle, you wonder why you ever made them indoors.
Ingredients for Making This Blackstone Smash Burger Recipe
- Ground Beef: I recommend using 80% lean / 20% fat ground beef for making burgers.
- Salt and Pepper: The general rule of thumb is one teaspoon of salt per pound of meat. Adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.
- Oil: You can use avocado oil or a combination of butter and your favorite heat-safe oil.
- Cheese: Sliced cheese makes it easy.
- Toppings: Get creative with your favorite toppings.
Tips & Tricks
- If you want to use butter to cook your hamburger, I recommend a butter and oil mixture. The combination will help to prevent the butter from reaching its smoke point.
- You can make the burger balls ahead of time, and keep them on a piece of parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
How Do I Serve Smash Burgers?
First, you need a bun! You can use your favorite burger bun for this smashburger recipe. Anything goes, from brioche buns to pretzel buns.
I like to use my homemade Bread Machine Hamburger Buns. They are easy to make, economical, and delicious.
And of course, Blackstone smashburgers wouldn’t be complete without your favorite burger toppings. Here are some ideas.
- Classic burger toppings - lettuce, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, pickles, and onions
- More creative toppings - avocado, bacon, cheese, chili, jalapeno peppers, fried egg
- Regional favorites - blue cheese dressing and buffalo sauce in the Midwest; blue cheese and barbecue sauce in the South; guacamole and sour cream in California
- Seasonal toppings - grilled pineapple and pepper jack cheese in the summer; sautéed mushrooms and Swiss cheese in the winter
- International flavors - Thai peanut sauce, Indian chutney, Italian marinara sauce
What's a burger without a delicious sauce? The classics are always delicious, but if you're looking for some new ideas, here are three sauces that will take your burgers to the next level.
First, try a classic barbecue sauce. This tangy and slightly sweet sauce is a perfect complement to a burger. Look for a sugar-free version if you're watching your sugar intake. (Or try this BBQ sauce recipe.)
Next, why not try something a little different with a sriracha mayo? This spicy and creamy sauce is perfect for those who like a little kick in their burger.
Mix equal parts sriracha and mayonnaise, and you're good to go! This is one of my favorite ways to take this smash burger recipe on the Blackstone to the next level.
Finally, try making your own green chile sauce if you want something truly unique. This flavorful sauce is perfect for topping off a southwestern burger.
Just roast some Hatch green chiles and blend them with some garlic, onion, and cilantro. Add a little lime juice to taste, and you've got a delicious sauce that will impress your guests.
So, what do you serve with this juicy smash burger recipe?
French fries are a classic, but have fun mixing things up!
Try air fryer sweet potato fries, broccoli slaw, or blue cheese coleslaw.
Frequently Asked Questions
A smash burger is a burger made by pressing the beef patty onto the grill or griddle to create a crispy, seared exterior. The name comes from the "smashing" action that is used to flatten the patty.
The patty is seasoned with salt and pepper before being cooked.
Once it is cooked, the burger is typically topped with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and pickles. The combination of the crispy exterior and juicy interior makes for a delicious and satisfying burger.
The best beef for making smash burgers is ground beef with a 20% fat content. This type of beef will cook evenly and produce a juicy burger. Avoid using ground beef that is too lean, as it will produce a dry burger.
Smash burgers are usually made with ground chuck that has a high-fat content, which helps to create a juicy, flavorful burger.
Tools Needed to Make Smash Burgers on a Griddle
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
Leftover burgers may be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Freeze cooked burger patties for up to three months.
How to Make Smash Burgers on a Blackstone
First, start by seasoning your ground beef with salt and pepper. You can adjust the seasoning to your liking, but in general, I recommend a teaspoon of sea salt per pound of meat.
Next, form the meat into six balls.
After that, heat your flat top Griddle to medium-high heat - about 450° F.
Brush your hot griddle with about 2 tablespoons of oil.
Add the balls of meat, and then smash the patties down.
Cook until charred, about 3-4 minutes.
Flip the burger and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the cheese and cover with a dome. Melt the cheese and then transfer the burgers to a plate.
Brush the griddle with the remaining oil, and reduce the heat to medium.
Place the buns, cut side down, on the griddle.
Finally, cook until the buns toast, about 1 to 3 minutes.
Serve the burgers on the buns with your desired toppings.
More Blackstone Griddle Recipes to Try
- If you love flavorful fajitas and want to take flavors to the next level, you'll want to check out this recipe for Blackstone Griddle Fajitas. These fajitas cook up nice and crispy on the griddle, and they're perfect for feeding a large crowd.
- This Blackstone Chicken Recipe is perfect for a weekend dinner. The easy dish is packed with flavor. Serve the chicken with some rice or Blackstone Potatoes and you'll have a made completely on your flat top grill.
- I love quick and easy recipes that can be made in a pinch, and this Blackstone Fried Rice is one of my favorites! It's simple to prepare and it's delicious too. Whether you're looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a hearty side dish, this recipe is sure to please!
- Looking for an easy weeknight dinner? These Chicken Quesadillas are simple to make and always a hit with my family.
Blackstone Smash Burgers
- Blackstone Griddle
- 32 ounces ground beef 80/20
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup avocado oil divided (or a mixture of butter and oil)
- 6 slices of cheddar cheese depending on how cheesy you want your burger
- For serving: lettuce tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise
- Place the ground beef into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Form into 6 balls, just over 6 ounces each.
- Heat your Blackstone to medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and then the balls of meat.
- Smash down the patties to about a 4” diameter.
- Cook for 3 minutes, until charred.
- Flip and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add a slice of cheese (or two) to each burger. Cover with a dome. Steam until the cheese melts, about 45 seconds.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to rest.
- Turn the heat to medium and brush the Blackstone with the remaining oil.
- Toast the buns, cut side down, until golden brown, about 1 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Place the patties on the buns, Top with the desired fixings and serve immediately.
- Preheat your grill to high heat and place a cast iron skillet on the grates.
- Add the oil and then balls of meat, working in batched if necessary.
- Smash down the patties and cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the cheese and cover the skillet. Cook until the cheese melts.
- Transfer to a plate and rest.
- Brush the grates of the grill with the remaining oil and toast the buns, cut side down, for about a minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Place the patties on the buns.
- Top with the desired fixings and serve immediately.
Simple ingredients and delicious results. These burgers are perfect!
These are restaurant-worthy smash burgers! So simple, but the flavor is spot on. I don't have a griddle but I used my cast iron skillet on the pellet grill. They were fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Delicious burger recipe, Wendy!
Love to try this! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for a delicious burger recipe!