These Black Bean and Quinoa Tostadas are a lighter and healthier way to enjoy tostadas! Packed with plant based goodness, there is no deprivation going on here! Gluten Free & Vegetarian. Vegan Option.
One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is to find ways to make my favorite foods a little bit healthier.
Without sacrificing taste, of course.
Because when it comes to the battle between healthy and delicious, delicious wins every time.
Life is too short to eat boring, bland food.
Am I right?
Today I’ve got an old favorite (from my first book) that is a healthy spin on tostadas.
Because as much as I love the deep fried goodness of traditional tostadas, I know they aren’t good for me on a regular basis.
I love that these Black Bean and Quinoa Tostadas are not only better for you, but also packed with flavor.
I adore the crunch of the oven baked tortillas, the heat of the jalapeno and the brightness of the lime juice. And of course, there is great texture from the broccoli slaw. All of this combines to make an incredibly satisfying dish that doesn’t feel like a sacrifice at all.
If you like these Black Bean and Quinoa Tostadas, you may also like these Tostadas Recipes:
- Quinoa Tostadas with Avocado Cream Sauce
- Cheesy Chicken & Poblano Pepper Tostadas
- Chicken & Bean Tostadas with Chipotle Lime Sauce
Black Bean & Quinoa Tostadas
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inch)
- Olive oil spray
- 2 red peppers seeded and sliced thin
- 2 onions sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other high heat oil divided
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice divided
- 3 cups cooked black beans 2 cans
- 1 tablespoon chopped jarred jalapeños plus 1/4 cup brine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bag broccoli slaw
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 oz queso fresco
- ó cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spread tortillas on 2 baking sheets and coat with oil spray on each side. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp. Rotate baking sheets after 4 minutes.
- Put 1 tablespoon avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add onions and peppers. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes longer.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in skillet. Add beans, jalapeños and 1 tablespoon of the jalapeno brine. Cook for 5 minutes, mashing beans with the back of your fork or a potato masher.
- In a large bowl, toss coleslaw mix with remaining jalapeño brine and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cilantro, and garlic.
- Spread beans on tortillas, and top with quinoa, vegetables, and slaw. Top with yogurt mixture and sprinkle queso fresco.