There a few things that I love more than Mexican food. In fact, if you hang around here long (and I hope you do!) I can promise you lots of Mexican recipes packed with flavor.
When I don’t know what is for dinner, one of my go to meals is tacos. (Even better – crock pot tacos!)
We eat them so much that I even buy organic taco shells in bulk from Amazon. (Kind of embarrassing to admit, but way better than feeding my family GMO taco shells.)
Another family favorite is Tostadas. I am a huge fan of organic sprouted corn tortillas and when I can’t find those I make my own.
Sounds complicated but it’s like most things. Once you’ve done it a few times it gets really easy. The only thing is that they rarely look perfect. (As you can see here.)
One of my favorite things about these Chicken & Bean Tostadas is that it is easy to cook the chicken and do all the chopping early in the day. Reheat the chicken while you are completing steps 5 and 6 and you’ve got dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes.
I make these with my Quinoa Corn Tortillas.
Chicken & Bean Tostadas with Chipotle Lime Sauce
- 2 teaspoons gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed (or tempeh)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 organic corn tortillas orquinoa corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups organic refried beans heated
- 3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 to mato seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado halved pitted and peeled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine flour, chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt.
- Spray a stock pot with oil and add chicken. Cook until browned. Add garlic and spice mixture and cook for one more minute, stirring often. Add broth and vinegar and stir well. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate and shred. (Reserve liquid for reheating if desired.)
- Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients in food pressor and process until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spray both sides of tortillas well with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until just starting to crisp.
- Spread refried beans on tortillas and top with cheese. Return to oven and cook until cheese melts. Top with chicken, cabbage, tomato, avocado and a dollop of dressing and serve.
Recipe NotesWW Pts 10