You won’t believe how crazy-good this Brussels Sprouts Kale Salad is! Sturdy kale and Brussels sprouts hold up for a few days even when tossed, making this recipe perfect for meal prep. (Just wait until the last minute to add the avocado.) This is a nutrition-packed vegetarian lunch and works just as well as a side dish. Add chicken, beans, or tempeh to up the protein.
Brussels Sprouts Kale Salad Backstory
It is no secret how much I love salads.
I’ve mentioned many times that for almost two years I had a salad for breakfast every single day. No exceptions.
It wasn’t that I was eating completely healthy at the time, it was just that I woke up craving veggies and I always gave into those cravings.
What may surprise you, is that the salad was basically the same every single day. Same Balsamic Vinaigrette. Same veggies.
The only variable was that if I was craving carbs, I would throw in 1/2 cup of cooked pasta.
I think it was the monotony of that time that eventually left me burnt out on the whole salad for breakfast thing.
I am trying to get back to eating salads on the regular, but this time I am mixing things up.
This Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad is one that surprised even me! When I first tasted the dressing, I wasn’t sure that I was going to love it. But once I got everything blended it worked perfectly. I am not sure I could have loved this one more.
The dressing does have a bit of bite to it. If you prefer a sweeter dressing, you could add in a tablespoon or two of your favorite sweetener.
It makes quite a bit of salad, so if you are eating this solo you may want to toss half now and half in a few days.
And, of course, wait to add the avocado to the last minute!
How to Make Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
Time needed: 20 minutes.
- Cook the Brussels Sprouts
Heat oil in a large skillet to medium heat. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. (The Brussels sprouts should be lightly charred.) Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Make the Dressing
While the Brussels sprouts are cooling, make the dressing by combining the olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, and cayenne pepper in a blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and process until smooth. If you prefer a sweeter dressing with less bite, add a tablespoon or two of your favorite sweetener.
Add kale and feta cheese to the bowl and toss with the dressing.
Top with pecans and avocado and serve.
Variations for This Recipe:
- Use a Caesar dressing and omit the feta. Instead, use Parmesan Crisps as croutons.
- Swap out the feta for blue cheese, Gorgonzola, or goat cheese.
- Substitute sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, or walnuts for the pecans.
- Add one cup shredded cooked chicken or six slices of crumbled bacon.
This salad may be made ahead, but the avocado should be cut and added at the last minute.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The easiest way to shred Brussels Sprouts is with a food processor. I recommend processing a few with your slicing disk to make sure the settings are giving you the texture you desire. (You can make them whatever size you like for this recipe.) Other options are to use a mandoline, or a very sharp knife.
This salad, with the exception of the avocado, can be fully prepped ahead and kept in the refrigerator for up to two days.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
Brussels Sprouts Kale Salad
Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts trimmed and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 4 cups kale finely chopped (about 4 ounces)
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans toasted
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the Brussels sprouts, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes. The Brussels sprouts should be lightly charred. Allow to cool.
- Place Brussels sprout, kale, and feta cheese in a large bowl.
- Make dressing by combining olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Toss salad with the desired amount of dressing.
- Top with pecans and avocado and serve.