You won't believe how crazy-good this Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad is! Sturdy kale and Brussels sprouts hold up for a few days even when tossed, making this recipe perfect for meal prep. (Wait until the last minute to add the avocado.) This salad is a nutrition-packed vegetarian lunch and works just as well as a side dish. Add chicken, beans, or tempeh to up the protein.
It is no secret that I love salads, but this Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad is one that surprised even me!
The dressing does have a bit of bite to it. If you prefer a sweeter dressing, you could add in a tablespoon or two of your favorite sweetener.
It makes quite a bit of salad, so you may want to toss half now and half in a few days if you are eating this solo.
And, of course, wait to add the avocado to this Kale Brussels Sprout Salad until just before serving.
Ingredients for Making Kale Brussels Sprout Salad
- Brussels sprouts: To save time, you can often find a bag of pre-shredded Brussels sprouts in the produce section.
- Oil: If you go with olive oil, be mindful of the smoke point. Since we are cooking over medium heat, it should be fine unless your stove runs particularly hot.
- Kale: You can also buy pre-chopped kale if you are short on time.
- Feta: Although pre-crumbled is convenient, I recommend using a feta block packed in brine. The flavor is so much better.
- Avocado: Look for a firm avocado that is not hard. An excellent way to make sure you are getting an avocado that is neither over nor underripe is removing the stem and making sure that it is green and not brown.
- Pecans: Don't skip toasting them - it punches up the flavor.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: While an inexpensive version works for cooking, go with the best quality you can here.
- Lemon Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar: This combo provides just the right amount of acid to the recipe.
- Garlic: Fresh minced is best, but you could use garlic powder if you like.
- Mustard: A grainy brown mustard would work if you do not have Dijon mustard on hand.
- Seasonings: Adjust the amount of seasonings to your liking.
- Use a Caesar dressing and omit the feta. Instead, use Parmesan Crisps as croutons.
- Swap out the feta for blue cheese, Gorgonzola, or goat cheese.
- Substitute sunflower seeds, toasted almonds, macadamia nuts, or walnuts for the pecans.
- Add one cup of shredded cooked chicken or six slices of cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Dried cranberries are a lovely addition to this Brussels sprouts kale salad recipe.
This recipe is a delicious vegetarian meal on its own but also works well as a hearty side.
Frequently Asked Questions
The easiest way to shred Brussels Sprouts is with a food processor.
I recommend processing a few with your slicing disk to make sure the settings give you the texture you desire. (You can make them whatever size you like for this recipe.)
Other options are to use a mandoline or a very sharp knife.
With the exception of the avocado, this salad can be fully prepped ahead and kept in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Store this recipe in the refrigerator for up to two days, waiting to add the avocado until the last minute.
I recommend leaving it un tossed in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to five days for more extended storage.
How to Make Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
Cook the Brussels Sprouts - Heat oil in a large skillet to medium heat.
Add the shredded Brussels sprouts, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. (The Brussels sprouts should be lightly charred.)
Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
Make the Dressing - While the Brussels sprouts are cooling, make the dressing by combining the olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, and cayenne pepper in a blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and process until smooth.
If you prefer a sweeter dressing with less bite, add a tablespoon or two of your favorite sweetener.
Toss - Add kale and feta cheese to the bowl and toss with the dressing.
Top - Top with pecans and avocado and serve.
More Gluten-Free Salad Recipes to Try
Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts trimmed and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 4 cups kale finely chopped (about 4 ounces)
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado chopped
- ¼ cup chopped pecans toasted
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the Brussels sprouts, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes. The Brussels sprouts should be lightly charred. Allow to cool.
- Place Brussels sprout, kale, and feta cheese in a large bowl.
- Make dressing by combining olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Toss salad with the desired amount of dressing.
- Top with pecans and avocado and serve.
This post was originally published April 20, 2019. It was updated on May 4, 2021.