Butternut squash may sound like an unusual addition to a recipe, but trust me, you need these Butternut Squash Quesadillas in your life! With punchy blue cheese, red pepper, garlic, and onion, this is a simple vegetarian dinner that will fuel your body and feed your soul.
These Butternut Squash Quesadillas are the perfect blend of easy and comfort with flavors that just scream fall.
The entire dish can be put together ahead of time, or you can make the puree and assemble them at the last minute. I even frozen some of the leftover butternut squash puree to have on hand for a quick lunch.
- For added protein, add in cooked shredded chicken. Black beans or cooked crumbled tempeh are also great options.
- Make this vegan by either skipping the blue cheese or using this Vegan Blue Cheese.
- Cooked and mashed sweet potato can be used in place of the butternut squash.
What Do You Serve With Butternut Squash Quesadillas?
I think this easy recipe makes a meal by itself. (Which is what I call winning!) If you feel you need a side for this Butternut Squash Quesadilla, I'd go with a simple green salad tossed in a light vinaigrette dressing.
Can This Recipe Be Made Ahead of Time
You can assemble the tortillas up to one day ahead of time and cook them just before serving. This recipe is best freshly cooked, but leftovers will hold for about two days.
For longer storage, I recommend making the butternut squash puree and keeping it in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Freeze the puree for up to three months. I recommend freezing in individual serving portions. (Unless you have a large family and know you will be cooking the leftovers all at the same time.)
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
More Quesadilla Recipes to Try
- Start your day with these delicious Spinach & Red Pepper Breakfast Quesadillas. They are hearty and satisfying and so easy to make.
- When you need an easy meal that the whole family is going to love, these Chicken & Marinated Veggie Quesadillas are perfection.
- Spinach & Sun Dried Tomato Quesadillas make it easy to convince your little ones to embrace their greens.
Butternut Squash Quesadillas with Blue Cheese
- 4 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sage chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbled (optional)
- 8 gluten free tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss butternut squash with ½ tablespoon of olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large skillet Add onion and cook for 10 minutes. Add garlic and sage and cook for another two minutes, stirring often.
- Place butternut squash and onion mixture in a blender and process until smooth.
- To assemble, spread butternut squash puree on half of each tortilla. Top with red pepper and blue cheese. Fold in half.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Spray with oil. Add two tortillas at a time, and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side. Serve warm.