Searching for a simple family meal? It doesn’t get any better than this grilled
chicken quesadilla recipe! Before firing up the BBQ, you’ll marinade chicken
breasts and cut veggies in a zesty homemade Italian dressing. You can make this with a Ninja Foodi Grill or a traditional outdoor grill.
These Grilled Chicken and vegetable quesadillas are one of my favorite easy weeknight meals.
I like to whip up my homemade Italian Dressing and cook the chicken during my meal prep, but you can use store bought dressing to make this a super-easy weeknight meal.
When the weather is nice, I like to head outdoors and make this on the grill. The rest of the year, this is easy to make with a grill pan or Ninja Foodi grill. (In fact, it is a favorite Ninja Foodi Grill recipe at my house.)
Looking for more easy chicken dinner ideas? Don't miss this easy Ninja Foodi chicken breast recipe.
Ingredients for Making Grilled Chicken Quesadillas
- Chicken: I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but thighs would work.
- Italian Dressing: Homemade dressing allows you to control the ingredients. I think it has a fuller flavor, making it the perfect marinade for chicken quesadillas. If you are short on time, store-bought works well too.
- Vegetables: A blend of red onion and shredded zucchini adds just the right pop of flavor. Red bell pepper, poblano chiles, eggplant, and corn are also great options.
- Cheese: I like cheddar cheese in quesadillas, but use your favorite cheese!
- Tortillas: Flour tortillas work best for quesadillas. You can use traditional or gluten-free.
- Toppings: Sour cream, cilantro, greek yogurt, tomatoes, guacamole, lime juice, and salsa are all great options.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure your grill is preheated before you begin cooking. You want it moderately hot, but not so hot that the tortillas burn.
- If you don’t want to fold your tortilla, you can top it with another tortilla.
- Don’t forget the toppings! This chicken veggie quesadilla is excellent on its own but even better when you add toppings.
- Choose your tortillas wisely! A thicker tortilla holds up much better on the grill. Some alternate flour tortillas do not grill well.
- Don’t overstuff your chicken and veggie quesadilla! Too much filling makes them next to impossible to flip without the contents spilling out.
- Want to stay indoors and don’t have a Ninja Foodi Grill? A grill pan works too.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best quesadilla fillings?
Quesadillas can be as simple as just cheese and a tortilla, but there are endless possibilities for fillings!
Chicken, pork, grilled vegetables (like zucchini, corn, peppers, and onions), refried beans, and salsa are all great options.
What toppings are good on a quesadilla?
A grilled quesadilla is a thing of beauty, and toppings make them even better. Some great options include tomatoes, avocados, green chilies, salsa, and sour cream.
What kind of cheese works well on a quesadilla?
When it comes to grilled quesadillas, you really can't go wrong with cheddar cheese. It melts quickly and evenly, creating a delicious and gooey filling. Monterey jack and mozzarella are similar and great options.
If you're looking for something with more spice, try using pepper Jack cheese. The heat adds an extra kick to the quesadilla, making it a perfect choice for those who want a bit of a bite.
Or, for a truly unique experience, try using goat cheese. The tangy flavor of the cheese pairs perfectly with the grilled tortilla, making for a quesadilla that is both flavorful and downright addicting.
Step by Step
Marinade for Chicken Quesadillas
Start by marinating the chicken. You want to marinate it for at least 30 minutes and no longer than four hours. (After four hours, the marinade will start to impact the protein in the chicken, and the texture will suffer.)
About fifteen minutes before you are ready to cook, marinate the veggies and then drain the excess marinade off before cooking.
Outdoor Grill or Grill Pan
To make a grilled chicken quesadilla, preheat your grill to medium-high.
Add the chicken and cook for 8 minutes. Flip and cook for another 8 minutes.
Let the chicken rest. Add the vegetables to a grill basket and cook for about 10 minutes to the desired doneness.
Dice the chicken. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
Lightly oil the grates and decrease the heat to medium. Layer the chicken, vegetables, and cheese on a tortilla and top with another.
Cook your chicken and cheese quesadilla about 4 minutes per side until the cheese melts and the tortilla is crisp.
Ninja Foodi Grill Quesadilla
Preheat the Foodi Grill to medium.
Add the chicken and cook for about 16 minutes, until cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the grill, and add the vegetables. Cook for about 10 minutes until they are tender.
Dice the chicken.
Spray a tortilla with oil and place the oiled side down on the Foodi Grill. Top with the veggies, chicken, and cheese.
Add another tortilla and cook for about 8 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly. Sprinkle with your favorite toppings, slice and serve!
More Quesadilla Love
- These Chicken Quesadillas made in a skillet or on the Blackstone Griddle have just the right amount of smoky heat.
- Looking for something different? Butternut Squash Quesadillas with Blue Cheese are sure to delight!
- Start the day right with Breakfast Quesadillas! They are fun, tasty, and so satisfying.
- Sun Dried Tomato Quesadillas will leave you doing a happy dance!
Grilled Chicken Quesadillas (Outdoor Grill or Ninja Food Grill)
- 16 ounces chicken breast
- ½ cup Italian Dressing divided
- 1 small red onion sliced into moons
- 1 small zucchini shredded
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 Flour Tortillas
- For serving: Plain Greek Yogurt Sour Cream Tomatoes or Salsa
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over it. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes or up to four hours.
- Place red onion and zucchini in a small bowl and pour the dressing over. Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and grill covered for 8 minutes.
- Flip and grill for another 8 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest.
- While the chicken is resting, spray a grill basket with oil and add the vegetables.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the vegetables for 15 to 20 minutes.
- During the last five minutes, the vegetables are cooking, dice the chicken.
- Remove from heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate and increase the heat to medium.
- Add a tortilla and top with the vegetables, chicken, and cheese.
- Add another tortilla and grill, flipping once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
Ninja Foodi Grill
- Preheat the grill to medium heat using the grill setting.
- Set the timer on your Foodi Grill for 16 minutes.
- Add the chicken when the grill is preheated and cook for 8 minutes, flip and cook for another 8 minutes, or until the chicken is 160° F at its thickest point.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest.
- Add the vegetables to the grill and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes, the vegetables are cooking, dice the chicken.
- Increase the heat to medium and add a tortilla to the Foodi Grill.
- Top with vegetables, chicken, and cheese.
- Add another tortilla. Cook for about 8 minutes, until golden brown.
Wow, I love quesadillas and have never thought to by the precooked chicken. What a great thing to have on hand when time is short! Brilliant. I can't wait to try your recipe
Wow these photos made me hungry! This recipe looks so deliciously enjoyable. My boys go nuts over quesadillas and I think these would also do the trick! Thanks for sharing!!
Yummm so amazing!! I love veggies and quesadillas...so delish!
This looks so good! I couldn't wait to save it to my Yummly & Pinterest to make later!
This sounds absolutely delicious! I love quesadillas, so I'll definitely be pinning this for later!
Such a great simple weeknight dinner recipe. I love quesadillas and their versatility.
Corina @ Now THAT I Can Do
Delicious recipe, Wendy! I love just about anything topped with sour cream. This one looks like a sure crowd-pleaser 😀
Jennifer at MakingOurLifeMatte
Ooh! I have been looking for some new yummy recipes to add to my meal plan. Thanks for the dinner inspiration, we LOVE quesadillas!
Love quesadillas, and your pictures of these are amazing. Can't wait to try this recipe out very soon.
Yum! I love quesadillas. I usually do roasted veggies in mine, this looks like a version I would love!
I love quesadillas also and these look yummy! I will be trying this recipe sometime during the week.
All I can say is delish!! Wow super beautiful presentation I love a great quesadilla!
This is a great recipe and looks super simple. This would be great for hot summer evening when you don't want to have the oven on for hours.
Even the kids loved this one!