Edit 2/2015: This California Pizza Crust was the first recipe on MamaBalance.com.
I feel like I should say “Hello World” or something corny like that right now. It feels so odd to be writing in a new space and somehow despite the fact that I’m more than 400 posts into Cooking Quinoa, I feel nervous. Which is silly, because exactly three of you are going to see this.
This website has been a long time coming. I planned on starting it in the Summer of 2012, right about the time I found out I was pregnant with Skye. Life has been more than a little overwhelming since then to say the least. I kept saying I was going to start it as a creative outlet to share all of my adventures in life that don’t involve quinoa, but somehow it never happened.
Until today! Hooray for marking one thing off my to do list. (Only 412 things to go!)
If you do happen to read this (Thanks Mom!) I’ll tell you a little bit what you can expect around here.
There will be food. Lot’s of gluten free and (mostly) healthy food. I expect recipes to be at least 75% of what I talk about.
The rest of the time, I’ll be talking about natural living, nutrition, family and lifestyle design and how I work at balancing all of these things in my life. There will be recipes for amazing beauty products and cleaners that I use to keep the toxins out of our home. Perhaps some tales of travel from our location independent life. And of course there will be kid and baby stories!
Today’s recipe is an absolute favorite of mine. I love the flavors and the freshness. I’ve made this both vegan and not and it is great both ways. The only downside to it is that it is best served fresh. If you don’t think your family is going to eat it all at once, I recommend either doing mini pizzas that you can cook fresh when you are ready to eat them or just topping the portion that you think you are going to eat.
California Club Pizza
- 4 ounces turkey bacon or tempeh bacon
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 lb gluten free pizza dough
- ½ cup grated cheese or Daiya
- 2 ounces goat cheese crumbled (or nut cheese)
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 tablespoons Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Mayo
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 to mato sliced thin
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees.
- Cook bacon until crisp and crumble into bite sized pieces.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper on your counter and sprinkle with cornmeal. (If you are allergic to corn use flour.) Roll dough into a circle about 12 inches wide. Transfer to the pizza peel. Sprinkle with cheeses and bacon. Baked for 14 to 16 minutes, until the crust is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, place arugula in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine yogurt, mayo, lime juice, salt and pepper. Toss with arugula. Place on warm pizza and top with sprouts, tomato and avocado. Serve immediately