If you are looking for the perfect healthy side, this Cauliflower Potato Salad is a great one to try. With smoked gouda, chipotle chili peppers, tomatoes, and basil, this Cauliflower Salad Recipe is flavor packed. It is a great low-carb side dish to serve at your next grill out. It is also a fabulous salad that you can enjoy year around! It is keto-friendly with a lower fat option, vegetarian and naturally gluten free.
Is it me or does it seem like cauliflower is the vegetable of the moment right now?
Personally, I was slow to jump on the bandwagon, but once I did, I haven't looked back.
Is there anything that this vegetable can't do?
From cauliflower pizza crust, to "bread", to rice and "mac" n cheese, cauliflower makes a great healthy substitute in so many dishes.
Cauliflower has become my favorite way to keep my calories in check.
Over the weekend, I had a craving for pasta salad. I haven't been buying pasta much lately, and I didn't have any in the house. It would have taken me more than an hour round-trip to get to and from the grocery store, and that thought was less than appealing.[clickToTweet tweet="Spicy Cauliflower Potato Salad with Smoked Gouda, Tomatoes & Basil #lowcarb" quote="Spicy Cauliflower Potato Salad Recipe with Smoked Gouda, Tomatoes & Basil"]
As I began to think of alternatives, I spied two heads of cauliflower in the fridge.
I decided to put one of them to good use by making a cauliflower potato salad.
I used one of my favorite pasta salad recipes as inspiration, and the results were phenomenal.
This Spicy Cauliflower Salad Recipe with Smoked Gouda, Tomatoes & Basil is packed with flavor, and I can promise you, no one will feel like they are making a sacrifice. It is a perfect side dish for your next grill out, and it would be great to take on a picnic!
One thing I love about this Cauliflower Salad, is that since cauliflower something I can find year around, I can enjoy it in the cooler months. It is a great way to mix up the rich comfort food that I crave in fall and winter.
Hubby likes cauliflower, but his enthusiasm doesn't quite reach the level of mine. Even he adored this one!
I'll have to say, that this may be one of my favorite ways to use cauliflower and I'm looking forward to making more cauliflower salads in the future!
Have you jumped on the cauliflower craze yet? If so, what are your favorite ways to use it?
Tools You Will Need to Make this Cauliflower Salad Recipe
- Large Bowl
Cauliflower Potato Salad
Spicy Cauliflower Potato Salad with Smoked Gouda, Tomatoes & Basil
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- ½ cup mayonnaise preferably homemade or Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or quinoa cream
- 2 tablespoons broth
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle chile pepper finely diced
- 6 ounces grape tomatoes halved
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese cubed
- ½ cup basil sliced thin
- Steam cauliflower for 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and allow to cool slightly. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine mayonnaise or Greek Yogurt, cream, broth and chipotle chile pepper in a small food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Add tomatoes, cheese and basil to the cauliflower and toss with dressing. Garnish with additional basil if desired and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Variations for Cauliflower Salad
- Add bacon and in place of the gouda cheese use blue cheese.
- Omit the chipotle chili pepper and instead use 1 tablespoon of prepared horseradish and 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
- Add ½ small red onion and use ½ cup fresh parsley in place of the basil.
- Use red wine vinegar in place of the apple cider vinegar.
- For an extra kick, add 1 teaspoon of minced garlic to the dressing.
- Try roasting the cauliflower for a fun twist! Roasting cauliflower brings out its natural sweetness. To roast, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet for 25 minutes.
Tips for Making Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Make this at least a few hours before you plan on serving it to allow the flavors to combine. (Hold off on adding the cheese and the basil.)
- Opt for a smaller head of cauliflower if you can find it. They tend to be sweeter!
- Save the cauliflower stems and julienne them for salads. (Or add them to this salad.) . Believe it or not, you can even add them to a smoothie. For real! It is a great way to boost nutrition without added sugar. Check out this recipe for a little inspiration. Disclosure: I haven't tried adding cauliflower to my smoothies but I have friends that swear by it. I plan on trying it soon!
If you like this Cauliflower Salad, you may also like these recipes:
- Spanish Beef & Cauliflower Rice Bowls
- Buffalo Roasted Cauliflower with Smokey Blue Cheese Sauce
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Skinny Cauliflower Mac n Cheese
- Chipotle Roasted Chicken & Cauliflower
I have to give this a try! I've been trying to watch my carbs too.