Looking for a delicious and easy-to-make weeknight meal that's sure to please the whole family? Look no further than this recipe for gluten-free chicken stroganoff! This classic dish is packed with comforting flavors and textures, making it the perfect choice for chilly evenings or busy days when you need a hearty meal. Best of all, this version is completely gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy it without worry.
- Gluten Free Pasta: I like to use fettuccine or spaghetti in this recipe - quinoa spaghetti is a particular favorite of mine.
- Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, Beyond Meat Chicken strips or tempeh cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Use two tablespoons divided. Regular olive oil or avocado oil are also good options.
- Red Onion: Make sure you finely chop your onion.
- Mushrooms: I use regular button mushrooms, but you can use your favorite kind.
- Gluten Free Flour: Use a gluten-free flour blend with xanthan gum
- Seasonings: Smoked paprika, sea salt and crushed red pepper add great flavor to the dish.
- White Wine or Broth: I like to use dry white wine for this dish but feel free to substitute chicken broth if you don't already have wine on hand.
- Greek Yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt is perfect for this recipe and can be made with either dairy or non-dairy yogurt.
- Sour Cream: Regular or non-dairy sour cream work great for this dish.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Make sure you use a gluten-free Worcestershire sauce to keep the meal completely gluten free.
- Fresh Parsley: Chopped parsley adds a nice fresh herby flavor to the dish.
Tips and Tricks
- Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for the best texture and flavor. Cut them into small, bite-sized pieces before cooking.
- Brown the chicken well in a hot pan before adding other ingredients to give it a nice crispy exterior and seal in the juices.
- Use a mix of mushrooms for added depth of flavor. Cremini, button, shiitake, or portobello mushrooms work well in this recipe.
- To make the sauce creamy and rich, use full-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt instead of low-fat versions.
- Make sure to cook the onions until they are soft and translucent before adding other ingredients. This will help release their natural sweetness and add depth to the dish.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
Gluten Free Chicken Stroganoff
- 8 ounce gluten free spaghetti
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or Beyond Meat Chicken strips or tempeh cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 red onion chopped fine
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine or broth
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt dairy or non-dairy
- ½ cup sour cream or non-dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce gluten free
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving ½ cup pasta water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken until golden brown and cooked all the way through, about 8 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Cook red onion amd mushrooms for 8 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, paprika, salt and crushed red pepper and stir to combine.
- Add white wine and ½ cup pasta water and cook for 2 minutes. Add yogurt, sour cream and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 2 minutes more. Toss with pasta, chicken and parsley and serve warm with fresh ground black pepper.