This Chicken Primavera is something to swoon over. With a creamy Parmesan sauce, and just the right kick from garlic and red pepper flakes, this recipe is perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon. Fresh grape tomatoes, carrots, and baby peas lend a refreshingly vibrant bit to the pasta. This is a forgiving recipe, so feel free to use whatever vegetables you have on hand. This is one I never get tired of.
Chicken Primavera is Perfect for Casual Entertaining!
I enjoy casual entertaining year around, especially when the weather is nice.
There is something about the near-perfect weather that makes me want to open up the house and invite friends over.
I am all about enjoying the celebration, so I always like to keep my menus simple. Dishes that can be mostly prepped ahead of time and served family style are perfect to me.
This Pasta Primavera with Chicken is perfect for those times where you want to gather friends and family, and would prefer not to spend the whole time in the kitchen.
You can make the entire dish ahead of time, and then reheat gently on the stove. I like to do just the chicken and sauce ahead of time, because I typically use a fresh gluten-free almond flour fettuccine and I think it tastes better when it is first cooked.
Either way, you’ve got a limited amount of hands-on cooking time, leaving you free to enjoy the celebration.
How to Make Chicken Primavera
Step 1: Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain.
Step 2: While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet to medium heat. Season chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes per side. Remove from the pan.
Step 3: Add red onion, and cook for four minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook another minute.
Step 4: Place the grape tomatoes and carrots in the pan and cook for three minutes. Add the peas and cook another minute.
Step 5: Add wine to the pan and cook, scraping up the brown bits, until the liquid has evaporated.
Step 6: Stir in
the half and half and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring
often. Add cheese and cook until melted and slightly thickened.
Step 7: Return the chicken to the pan and add pasta. Stir to combine. Garnish with thyme and serve warm.
Variations for Pasta Primavera with Chicken:
- Replace the tomatoes and carrots with broccoli florets, great beans, and red bell pepper.
- Alternatively, replace them with zucchini and asparagus.
- Top the finished dish with fresh basil and the juice and zest of one lemon in place of the thyme.
- Add a touch of heat with a thinly sliced Fresno Chile pepper. Seed the pepper for a little less heat.
- Make this recipe low carb by using heavy cream, reducing the tomatoes to 3/4 cup, and using zucchini noodles in place of pasta.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! The dish can be made ahead of time and gently reheated on the stove. If you are using gluten-free pasta, you may want to wait until just before you are ready to serve to cook it because it tends to be better when eaten right away.
Absolutely! Other vegetables that would be fabulous are broccoli, red bell pepper, green beans, asparagus, yellow squash, and zucchini.
You can simply omit the chicken or add a vegetarian protein! Chickpeas or sauteed tempeh would be nice here.
If You Like this Pasta Primavera with Chicken You May Also Like:
- 24 Gluten Free Cauliflower Recipes
- Smokey Chicken with Avocado Sauce
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Asian Chicken Salad
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
This Pasta Primavera with Chicken the perfect springtime and summertime pasta recipe! Packed with vegetables and a creamy parmesan sauce, this is a recipe the whole family will love.
Pasta Primavera with Chicken
- 8 ounces gluten-free fettuccine or spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces chicken breast
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 2 carrots cut into matchsticks
- 15 ounces baby peas drained
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half and half or quinoa cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. And to the pan and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. (Depending on the size and thickness of your chicken breast.)
- Remove chicken from the pan. Allow to cool slightly and slice.
- Add red onion and cook for four minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for one more minute.
- Place the grape tomatoes and carrots in the pan and cook for three minutes. Add peas to the pan and cook for an additional minute.
- Add wine or broth to the pan and cook, scraping up the brown bits, until the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for two minutes. Stir in Parmesan and cook until melted and slightly thickened.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the pasta. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with thyme and serve warm.