This Gluten-Free Southwestern Pasta is a family friendly recipe that makes a great weeknight meal. Packed with veggies, this is a pasta recipe you can feel good about.
Southwestern Pasta is a Delicious Weeknight Dinner!
I have always had a soft spot for anything with Southwestern flavors.
Will Taco Tuesday is a frequent occurrence at my house; sometimes I like to mix things up.
This Southwestern Pasta has all the flavors I love in a delicious pasta recipe that is always a hit.
I think you will agree that this one deserves to become a habit.
Can This Recipe Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes! This recipe will keep for about three days in the refrigerator. I do not recommend freezing it.
To reheat, place it in a saucepan or skillet with the stove set to medium-low. Add in butter, oil, or broth to prevent dryness.
Can I Make Vegan Southwestern Pasta?
Yes! Use Daiya shreds in place of the cheese and tempeh bacon in place of the turkey bacon. If you avoid soy, leave it off or use coconut bacon.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from Qualified Sales
Tools for Making Southwestern Pasta
- Pot (for cooking pasta)
- Large Skillet
- Slotted Spoon
- Feel free to play with the protein here. Ground beef and chicken both work well. Or leave the meat off for a vegetarian meal.
- Taco seasoning may be used in place of the other seasonings.
- I used gluten-free pasta. If you are not gluten-free then any pasta works!
- If you want a bit more heat, add a minced chipotle Chile in adobo sauce when you add the onion.
- For a creamy pasta, add 4 ounces diced cream cheese when you add the broth.
How to Make Southwestern Pasta
First, start by cooking your pasta.
While the pasta is cooking, cook the diced bacon in a large skillet. Remove it from the pan, but leave the drippings behind. If your bacon is exceptionally lean, you may want to spray the pan with oil.
Next, add the onion and jalapeno and cook until the onion begins to brown. Stir in the garlic and seasonings.
After that, add the broth, black beans, corn, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for about three minutes, until heated through.
Stir in the drained pasta and cheddar cheese. Remove from heat. Garnish and serve warm.
If You Like This Southwestern Pasta You May Also Like:
- Pasta Primavera with Chicken is an delicious meal that both kids and adults love.
- Looking for a quick meal that you can get on the table in a flash? Sausage and Spinach Pasta is perfect!
- For a hearty meal that always satisfied, this Gluten Free Penne Pasta with Butternut Squash is perfect.
- 8 ounces fusilli pasta or any short pasta - gluten free
- 8 ounces turkey bacon diced (or tempeh bacon)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder see note
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn kernels thawed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes diced
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese shredded (or Daiya Shreds)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon on medium-high heat until crispy. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add onion and jalapeño to the pan, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until the onion begins to brown.
- Add garlic, ancho chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, black beans, corn and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for three minutes, until heated through.
- Stir in drained pasta and cheddar cheese. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.
It is so hard to find gluten free whole grain pasta for my daughter. I will definitely have to look into GoGoQuinoa.
Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle
I need this in my life! Quinoa is my new favorite grain, so I'm always on the lookout for anything made with it.
Yum, this looks really great. I want to try new pasta for my kids because they have been asking for more pasta lately and I get so bored with the same ol' this will be delicious to try!
That super grains pasta must be really nice. I'll have to check out some of the other Gogo Quinoa stuff too. I'm liking this recipe.
I haven't heard of GoGo Quinoa, but it sounds like such a great pasta alternative. I like pasta, but it is so heavy, and it doesn't make me feel at my best either. It looks like GoGo Quinoa has a lot of great options. I will have to check out this line.
That looks really lovely! I love southern flavors and the food is just the perfect comfort food as well. This pasta is a must try! I can't wait to make it!
This pasta is packed with nutrients! Love everything you chose to add to it!
I'm such a huge fan of pasta and it's really important for me to find one that fits my diet. I think this is something that I need to get my hands on! It sounds amazing with that recipe of yours too.
Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place
Pretty awesome recipe! It's so nice that you found a pasta that works well with your health. It's one of the things that I can never live without! Pasta is amazing!
I love that pasta has been amped up in so many ways these days. It's nice to have a new source for goodness in something we already love.
This is an amazing recipe. We cooked Quinoa at least twice a week. This one, I will cook next week. It seems delicious with all those great ingredients.
It is great to know that there are options like GoGoQuinoa for people with gluten sensitivity. I will get some and keep it in stock for those days when I have a gluten-sensitive guest in the house.
This looks so full of flavor! My two favorites pasta, and southwest cuisine.