This Gluten-Free Southwestern Pasta is a family friendly recipe that makes a great weeknight meal. Packed with veggies, this is a pasta recipe you can feel good about.
Southwestern Pasta is a Delicious Weeknight Dinner!
I have always had a soft spot for anything with Southwestern flavors.
Will Taco Tuesday is a frequent occurrence at my house; sometimes I like to mix things up.
This Southwestern Pasta has all the flavors I love in a delicious pasta recipe that is always a hit.
I think you will agree that this one deserves to become a habit.
Can This Recipe Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes! This recipe will keep for about three days in the refrigerator. I do not recommend freezing it.
To reheat, place it in a saucepan or skillet with the stove set to medium-low. Add in butter, oil, or broth to prevent dryness.
Can I Make Vegan Southwestern Pasta?
As an Amazon Associate I earn from Qualified Sales
Tools for Making Southwestern Pasta
- Feel free to play with the protein here. Ground beef and chicken both work well. Or leave the meat off for a vegetarian meal.
- Taco seasoning may be used in place of the other seasonings.
- I used gluten-free pasta. If you are not gluten-free then any pasta works!
- If you want a bit more heat, add a minced chipotle Chile in adobo sauce when you add the onion.
- For a creamy pasta, add 4 ounces diced cream cheese when you add the broth.
How to Make Southwestern Pasta
First, start by cooking your pasta.
While the pasta is cooking, cook the diced bacon in a large skillet. Remove it from the pan, but leave the drippings behind. If your bacon is exceptionally lean, you may want to spray the pan with oil.
Next, add the onion and jalapeno and cook until the onion begins to brown. Stir in the garlic and seasonings.
After that, add the broth, black beans, corn, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for about three minutes, until heated through.
Stir in the drained pasta and cheddar cheese. Remove from heat. Garnish and serve warm.
If You Like This Southwestern Pasta You May Also Like:
- Pasta Primavera with Chicken is an delicious meal that both kids and adults love.
- Looking for a quick meal that you can get on the table in a flash? Sausage and Spinach Pasta is perfect!
- For a hearty meal that always satisfied, this Gluten Free Penne Pasta with Butternut Squash is perfect.
- 8 ounces fusilli pasta or any short pasta - gluten free
- 8 ounces turkey bacon diced (or tempeh bacon)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder see note
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn kernels thawed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes diced
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese shredded (or Daiya Shreds)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon on medium-high heat until crispy. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add onion and jalapeño to the pan, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until the onion begins to brown.
- Add garlic, ancho chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, black beans, corn and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for three minutes, until heated through.
- Stir in drained pasta and cheddar cheese. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.