We take Mexican night very seriously at our house, and these Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas are my idea of perfection. The chicken is deliciously seasoned in a punchy marinade, topped with onion and peppers, and finished off with salsa for a simple meal you will make time and again.
My life is pretty crazy these days!
That means now, more than ever, I am relying on super-easy recipes. If it is something I can throw together in 15 minutes or less that the whole family will enjoy, it is a winner in my book!
I have long loved my slow cooker, and these Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas are one of my go-to recipes. I marinate the chicken overnight and then throw everything in the Crock-Pot a few hours before serving. It couldn't be easier.
Ingredients for Making Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken: I used chicken breast, but if you prefer thighs, that works as well.
- Lime Juice: This adds a nice pop of acid to the marinade.
- Oil: Either olive oil or avocado oil will work here. Though I don't typically use olive oil for cooking, it is fine in the slow cooker.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic adds a big pop of flavor. Adjust the amounts to your liking.
- Seasonings: I used a blend of garlic powder, ground cumin, salt, and pepper. If you would like, you could use a packet of fajita seasoning instead.
- Peppers: Try using different colors for a pretty presentation.
- Onions: I typically use yellow or white onions, but red works too.
- Salsa: Fresh salsa from the produce section adds a pop of flavor.
- Fixings: You will want tortillas, shredded cheese, sour cream, and possibly more salsa.
Tips & Tricks
- If you would like to use a packet of taco seasoning in place of the seasonings in the recipe, feel free to do so.
- If you prefer your meat browned, you can drain it from the marinade and saute it in a skillet until browned before transferring it to your slow cooker.
- Mexican seasoned diced tomatoes may be used in place of the salsa.
- Short on time? You can often find pre-cut vegetables in the produce section of your grocery store.
Between the fajitas, tortillas, and fixings, this makes a delicious meal on its own. If you would like to serve it with a side, try this Spanish Cauliflower Rice, Spanish Brown Rice, or Cilantro Lime Slaw.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Due to food safety, it is not recommended that you cook frozen meat in the slow cooker. According to the USDA, frozen chicken can spend too much time in the danger zone (between 40° F and 140° F) when cooked in a crockpot. This is the point where bacteria is most likely to grow.
As long as your slow cooker is large enough, feel free to double the recipe.
Tools Needed to Make This Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I Earn From Qualified Sales
- Slow Cooker
Leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to four days.
You can freeze leftovers for up to three months. I recommend freezing in individual containers for easy lunches.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
Making chicken fajitas in your slow cooker couldn't be easier! Start by cutting the chicken into strips and marinating it in lime juice, oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Marinate for at least one hour and up to four hours.
Chop your vegetables while the chicken is marinating.
Next, once the chicken is marinated, place it and any remaining marinade in your slow cooker. Top with the peppers, onions, and salsa.
Cook over high heat for 2 hours or low heat for 3 to 4 hours.
Serve with your favorite fixings!
You May Also Like
- This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Risotto is quick to make and perfect for entertaining. It makes a great side dish or vegetarian main course.
- Beet Orange Salad is such a colorful recipe that is surprisingly simple to make. This is one that never gets old!
- Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto has all the flavor of traditional risotto sans the carbs. Try it once, and like me, you will be addicted.
- Steak with Mushrooms is a classic dish that never goes out of style!
- Roasted Spring Vegetables are quick to make and even quicker to disappear!
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- 1 ½ pound boneless skinless chicken cut into strips
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 small bell peppers cut into strips
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1 cup salsa
- For serving: tortillas gluten-free if necessary, shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, chili powder, and ground cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Pour the chicken and marinade in your crock-pot. Top with peppers and onions. Pour salsa over the vegetables.
- Cover and cook over high heat for 2 hours or low heat for 3 to 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with warm tortillas and desired toppings.