This Spanish Brown Rice recipe was developed for my youngest son who has fearlessly eaten all of my kitchen experiments since he was a toddler. He loved it from the start, but this easy gluten free side dish even passed the critique of his picky brother and sister. This recipe can be made on the stove top or in the Instant Pot
Spanish Brown Rice is an Easy Kid-Friendly Side!
Every mom has her go-to recipes.
For me, they need to be easy, have limited hands on time AND be healthy.
This Kid Friendly Spanish Brown Rice is one I wouldn't want to have to live without.
When I make this I can except cheers and happy eaters. Really, what more can a mom ask for?
If you've been searching for healthy sides that kids will love, this is the answer!
Due to concerns about arsenic in rice, I always try to buy organic from California. I also rinse well before cooking it.
What are your go-to recipes?
More Gluten-Free Sides to Try:
- Turmeric Rice is a healthy side dish that is one of my absolute favorites! You won't believe how flavor-packed this one is!
- Looking to lower your carb intake? This Coconut Cauliflower Rice is a straight riff on coconut rice that will have your taste buds doing a happy dance.
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Casserole works well as a hearty side or vegetarian side. Either way, this is one you will make again and again.
Kid Friendly Spanish Brown Rice
- Instant Pot or
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 2 cups organic brown rice preferably from California
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup pureed tomato
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- Place rice in a metal strainer and rinse until the water is clear.
- Set your Instant Pot to saute and heat the olive oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook for 8 minutes, until tender.
- Add rice and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in vegetable broth, pureed tomato, and sea salt.
- Place the lid on your pressure cooker and seal. Set to high pressure and cook for 22 minutes.
- When the cook time is done, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release. Carefully remove the lid. Fluff, and serve.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender.
- Add rice and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in vegetable broth or water, pureed tomato and sea salt.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
We are obsessed with any rice dish in our house. Looks delish!
I followed this recipe exactly & it burned after being on low for only 30mins
For sure you need to look at the type of rice you have. I buy mine in bulk, but there are plenty of faster cooking brown rices out there now.