Cilantro Lime Slaw is a jazzed-up take on coleslaw that will leave your taste buds doing a happy dance. You are going to love the spicy lime dressing in this crave-worthy slaw. It is the perfect side to any meal with a Mexican or Southwestern flair. I especially like this recipe served with Blackstone fajitas or grilled chipotle chicken.
If you love vibrant flavors and crunchy textures, you are going to love this cilantro lime coleslaw.
This is no ordinary coleslaw; it's a symphony of fresh ingredients that come together to create a side dish that's as delightful to look at as it is to eat. Whether you're planning a summer barbecue or looking for a refreshing salad to brighten up your meal, this cilantro slaw is sure to impress.
We start with crisp, shredded cabbage - the backbone of any great slaw. To this, we add finely chopped scallions, their mild onion flavor adding a subtle depth to the slaw. But the real star of the show here is the fresh cilantro. Its unique, slightly citrusy flavor profile infuses the slaw with a freshness that's simply irresistible.
The dressing for our avocado slaw with cilantro is where things get really exciting.
We blend oil, tangy lime juice, savory soy sauce, smoky spices, and a touch of sugar for balance. The result is a dressing that's rich yet refreshing, with a hint of sweetness to complement the acidity of the lime.
Finally, we finish with creamy avocado just before serving. Each bite is a burst of freshness! This lime cilantro slaw is a celebration of fresh ingredients and bold flavors.
- Lime Juice: Fresh squeezed is best, but you could use jarred if you prefer. Add lime zest for an even stronger burst of flavor. Apple cider vineger or red wine vinegar could also be used.
- Soy Sauce: If you would prefer to make this recipe gluten free, use coconut aminos or gluten free tamari.
- Sweetener: Sugar is great here, but honey, agave, or your favorite sugar-free sweetener are great options.
- Oil: I like a good quality of extra virgin olive oil in this recipe. Want to make this slaw creamy? Mayonnaise, sour cream, or even Greek yogurt can be used in place of the oil in this coleslaw recipe.
- Ancho Chile Powder: This adds a great flavor and slight heat to the slaw. Regular chili powder or cumin also works.
- Sea Salt: A little sprinkle of sea salt helps bring out all the other flavors in this dish.
- Cayenne Pepper: This brings a nice kick of heat to the slaw. If you don't care for spice, feel free to omit this.
- Cabbage: If you are short on time, coleslaw mix is also a great option.
- Scallions: Finely chop green onions for an onion-like flavor without overpowering the other ingredients. You could also use finely diced red onions if you prefer.
- Cilantro: I love cilantro, but you could skip it if you don't care for it.
- Avocado: Make sure to wait until just before serving to add the avocado.
The Easy Way
My favorite way to prepare cabbage for this cilantro lime slaw recipe is to roll the stacked leaves crosswise and feed through a food processor that has a shredding disk.
On a cutting board, quarter the cabbage and remove the core. Separate the quarters into stacks of leaves and flatten. Slice the stacks into thin shreds.
Step by Step Instructions
The Key to the VERY BEST Coleslaw
A challenge with coleslaw is that it often becomes watery just a few hours after you make it. The reason for this is that cabbage contains a lot of water.
To eliminate this issue, cut the cabbage and place it in a colander. Salt it generously and place the strainer over a bowl. Let it sit at room temperature for about an hour. Rinse and run through a salad spinner or blot dry.
Can You Make This Recipe Ahead?
If you are planning on making this coleslaw with lime ahead, wait to add the avocado until just before serving, so it doesn't brown. It will hold for a bit, but I always prefer cutting my avocados fresh.
The rest of the recipe should keep covered in the fridge for about two days.
What Do You Serve With Cilantro Lime Slaw?
- Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas make an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love.
- This Baked Chicken Taquitos Recipe is has all the crunch of traditional taquitos without the need to fry. I am obsessed with the lime dimming sauce.
- Looking for more meatless meals? These Mexican Quinoa Burgers are a fun twist on veggie burgers that even kids love.
- Chicken Quesadillas are an easy weeknight meal that is loved by kids and adults alike.
- This recipe is fabulous with shrimp tacos or fish tacos!
You May Also Like:
- Looking for a snack that is delicious and healthy? You will love this Avocado Hummus.
- Blue Cheese Coleslaw is another fun twist on slaw that is flavor packed.
- This Beef Taco Recipe is so full of flavor and a great way to make your taco night special.
20-Minute Avocado Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon sugar or sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ancho chile powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ pound green cabbage cored and shredded
- ½ pound red cabbage cored and shredded
- 6 scallions chopped
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- If you have time, salt the cabbage and let it sit for 1 hour.
- In a blender or jar combine lime juice, soy sauce sweetener, oil, ancho chile powder, salt, and pepper. Process or shake well to combine.
- In a large bowl toss cabbage, scallions and cilantro with dressing. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. Gently toss in avocado just before serving.