If you or someone you know is suffering from hypertension, essential oils may be able to help manage it. Here is what you need to know about Essential Oils for High Blood Pressure!
If you have read any of my books, you know that I was diagnosed with Stage 4 hypertension in my early 30's.
At the time I was not particularly overweight or unfit, and my blood pressure came as a total shock to both myself and my doctor.
Very often, unless someone is under medical care, hypertension can go unnoticed for years. Because it can lead to kidney failure, heart disease, arteriosclerosis, and stroke, it is important that we take personal responsibility for monitoring our blood pressure.
Symptoms of Hypertension
- There May Be No Symptoms!
In the last eleven years, I've used natural methods to keep my blood pressure in check. I would go on medication if it was needed, but I've been very fortunate that that hasn't been the case.
I use essential oils for blood pressure on a regular basis.
Please note: Since essential oils can impact your blood pressure, if you are on medication, please use caution and consult with a healthcare professional knowledgeable about using essential oils.
Managing Blood Pressure with Essential Oils is possible. However, it is something that is most effective in the early stages. And, it should always be combined with other natural ways to lower blood pressure as mentioned below.
Diet and Exercise are key! Also, please, please don't neglect the advice from your doctor.
How Do Hypertension Essential Oils Work?
Essential oils can act as adaptogens in the body. This means they bring the body back into balance. They are particularly effective at helping the body adapt to stress. Because of this, they can help to regulate blood pressure.
Essential Oils for High Blood Pressure
- Clary Sage
- Black Pepper
- Roman Chamomile
- Sweet Marjoram
- Rose Otto
- Ylang Ylang (This is widely regarded as one of the best essential oils for high blood pressure.)
The Quality of The Essential Oils You Use Matters!
After looking closely at the quality, purity, and ethics of so many companies, I've fallen in love with both the company and their oils. They have a large line of organic oils and are serious about safety. Every single batch is tested to ensure purity!
Read my full Plant Therapy Review for why they are my go-to company.
Essential Oil Blend for High Blood Pressure - Massage Blend
- 4 drops Clary Sage
- 6 drops Sweet Marjoram
- 6 drops Lavender
- 6 drops Geranium
- 6 drops Roman Chamomile
- 1 teaspoon carrier oil
- Combined ingredients in a small glass bottle. Massage the body in strokes moving towards the heart.
Consider getting a professional massage with essential oils. A 2013 study from Korea'sEulji University Hosptial found that high blood pressure suffers who had massages with essential oils experienced reduced blood pressure.
Essential Oils for Hypertension - Aromatic Application
- 5 drops Ylang Ylang
Add 5 drops of Ylang Ylang to your diffuser. It helps to relax the mind and body and decrease blood pressure.
Also, consider purchasing an Aromatherapy Pendant and wearing it daily.
Essential Oils for Blood Pressure - Bath
Pettigrain is antispasmodic and can help reduce a rapid heart rate.
- 1 tablespoon carrier oil
- 6 drops Petitgrain or Ylang Ylang
Combine the petitgrain and carrier oil in a small dish and stir to combine. Add to a warm bath and soak for 20 minutes. Use care not to get the water too hot as this can increase your heart rate.
Essential Oils to Avoid with Hypertension
While some oils can be very effective in helping, is best to avoid the following essential oils if you have high blood pressure:
- Peppermint (avoid ingestion only)
Natural Remedies for Hypertension
- Take a Daily Probiotic
- According to a new review in the journal Hypertension, adults who had a daily probiotic in the form of either food or supplements had significantly lower blood pressure than those who didn’t.
- According to the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, yoga may be just as good as brisk walking, swimming, and cycling for lowering your risk factors for heart disease. Both yoga and meditation are effective ways of reducing stress.
- According to a University of Adelaide study, garlic may help to keep high blood pressure at bay. In a 12-week trial, patients with hypertension were given 960 mg garlic extract and experienced a significant drop in blood pressure.
- Limit Caffeine
- Since caffeine can raise your blood pressure, limit your daily intake.
- Supplement with Vitamin D
- According to the journal Circulation, a study of 1,739 people found a vitamin D deficiency is associated with increased risk of heart disease.
- Add Vinegar to Your Diet
- Add Balsamic or Apple Cider Vinegar to your diet. According to the Journal of Nutrition, it may help to tame high blood pressure.
- Moderate Exercise
- Exercise at least 30 minutes 5 times a week at a moderate intensity. Be careful not to overdo it.
- Limit Alcohol Consumption
- Since alcohol can increase both heart rate and blood pressure, limit your total consumption.
- Eat Clean
- Eat a clean diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Add Beetroot Juice to Your Diet
- In a 2015 study reported in Hypertension, it was reported that Beetroot Juice can help to lower blood pressure. This is likely due to its high concentration of nitrates.
- Supplement with Vitamin D3
- A study in the Journal of Hypertension in 2012 found that supplementing with Vitamin D3 can help to lower blood pressure.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
- Several studies suggest that CoQ10 can help to lower blood pressure. Most reports, however, that it can take more than four weeks to see results.
Have you ever used essential oils for blood pressure? Leave a comment and let me know your favorite essential oils to lower blood pressure!
If You Like What You Need to Know About Essential Oils for High Blood Pressure You May Also Like:
- Essential Oils for Arthritis
- 15 Tips to Naturally Combat the Cold & Flu
- Essential Oils for Back Pain
- The Ultimate Guide to Essential Oils for Flu
Hi Wendy, my father has a high blood pressure problem for the past few years. I didn't know that essential oils can help to tackle blood pressure.
Thank you very much for sharing this helpful article with us.
I started using essential oils with an off brand starter kit that had better reviews than most, but after doing research, I landed on Plant Therapy as my brand of choice. Any new or replacement oils I need come from them. I like that they don't have the business structure other essential oil brands have and sell directly to consumers. Good quality at good prices equals a win for everyone.
I am right there with you. I started with an MLM, even got involved with the business side, but ultimately ended up with Plant Therapy. Their quality and prices can't be beat.
Thank you for the information. I do have one question. The ones that are listed to void, could it be used if it's mixed with other oils and carrier oils? What about products like toothpastes?
In general you would be best avoiding this completely. Most products don't have a high enough concentration for it to be an issue though.
Wendy, I noticed you did not mention bergamot oil for reducing high blood pressure. thoughts?
Can you use Inner Defense if you take hypertensive medication? Thank you
Hi, I am not sure what Inner Defense is. Who makes it and what are the ingredients?
My blood pressure if high 144/124 I feel good. Sometimes it drops to 96/67 and 45 minutes later 91/59 that is when I am dizzy and almost passing out. It fluctuates a lot only once a week. Now I notice it is 130/74 or 130/59 I think that is to much of a difference and again at 59 I am dizzy. I use neroli on my face would that cause the fluctuation? I also use a lavender , cedar wood and peace and calming in a roller on my big toe to help me sleep.