Grilled Chicken Parmesan is a crowd-pleasing dish that everyone loves. We top grilled Italian seasoned chicken with rich marinara, creamy mozzarella, and nutty parmesan and finish with fresh herbs. You get all flavor of fried chicken parm without the hassle of breading chicken.
Craving chicken parmesan during grilling season?
If so, you're going to love this easy grilled chicken parmesan.
This low-carb recipe is perfect for a summer meal. The combination of grilled chicken and melted cheese is always a winner, and the addition of tangy marinara and fresh herbs take the flavors to the next level.
This dish is easy to make and sure to please everyone at your table.
Ingredients for Making Grilled Chicken Marinara
- Chicken: Make sure you pound your boneless skinless chicken breasts to an even thickness using a meat mallet. You want them even but not as thin as chicken cutlets. This will help ensure that they are cooked through.
- Oil: Avocado oil is my favorite oil for cooking, thanks to its high smoke point and neutral flavor. Feel free to use your favorite heat-safe oil - olive oil works, but I don’t recommend cooking with extra virgin olive oil.
- Seasonings: A simple blend of salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper adds just the right flavor. If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you could use dried oregano. For a subtle touch of heat, red pepper flakes are perfect. Garlic powder and onion powder may also be used if you like.
- Marinara Sauce: I recommend my Crockpot marinara - it is so much better than store-bought. In a hurry? Use your favorite jarred tomato sauce.
- Mozzarella: I prefer fresh mozzarella in this recipe, but you could use a block of shredded mozzarella if you prefer. Provolone is also a great option.
- Parmesan: Freshly grated will have the most flavor.
- Fresh Herbs: Italian herbs lend a bright freshness that completes the dish.
You can go the traditional route and serve parmesan grilled chicken with pasta, but sometimes it is fun to mix things up.
An Italian green salad or Butter Lettuce Salad is perfect to round out the meal!
Frequently Asked Questions
One of the most important things to keep grilled chicken moist is to avoid overcooking the chicken.
When cooking grilled chicken breast, it is a good idea to pound them to an even thickness so that they can cook evenly.
Also, make sure to use a meat thermometer to gauge the internal temperature of the chicken, and take it off the grill when it reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. (If it is not yet to 160° F let it cook a few minutes longer and then test the chicken again.)
Finally, be sure to let the chicken rest for a few minutes before cutting into it. This allows the juices to redistribute, making for a juicier, more flavorful final product.
Resting allows the chicken to reach the recommended temperature of 165° F before serving.
Chicken parmesan is a popular Italian dish that typically consists of chicken breasts coated in breadcrumbs or other breading that are fried or baked and then covered in a tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
There are many variations of chicken parmesan, but the dish usually includes some combination of these ingredients.
Chicken parmesan is often served with pasta, but it can also be enjoyed on its own or with a variety of other side dishes.
Chicken Parmesan is a popular Italian-American dish. While the dish is certainly delicious, there is some debate over whether or not it is truly Italian.
Some food historians believe that the dish was actually created in the United States by Italian immigrants who were looking for a way to make use of the chicken that was widely available in their new country.
Others contend that the dish is derived from a similar Italian dish called pollo alla parmigiana, which uses veal instead of chicken.
Regardless of its origins, Chicken Parmesan has become a staple of Italian-American cuisine and can be found on menus across the United States.
Tools Needed to Make Chicken Parm on the Grill
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
Leftover grilled chicken parmigiana can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You can freeze the chicken and marinara (without the cheese) for up to three months.
I recommend thawing the components for this parmesan grilled chicken recipe in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan on the Grill
First, start by brushing the chicken with the oil. Combine the seasonings in a small bowl and sprinkle over the chicken.
Refrigerate for one hour or overnight.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan
Preheat your grill to medium-high. Brush the grates with a tablespoon of olive oil or avocado oil.
Add the chicken to the grill.
Cover the grill and cook for three minutes and then flip. Grill for another three minutes.
Spread a tablespoon of marinara on each piece of chicken, and top with the marinara.
Cook with the lid down until the cheese is melted and the internal temperature of the chicken is 160° F.
Ninja Foodi Grill Chicken Parmesan
Set your Foodi Grill to Grill High. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
When the grill is preheated, add the chicken.
Cook for three minutes per side.
Add the marinara and mozzarella cheese. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes with the lid down, until the cheese melts and the internal temperature of the chicken is 160° F.
Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with the remaining marinara.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
More Outdoor and Grilling Recipes to Try
- Hanger steak is a cut of meat known for its intense flavor and tender texture. If you're looking for an impressive dish to serve at your next dinner party, look no further than this hanger steak recipe.
- Grilled zucchini is a healthy and delicious summer side dish. It can be prepared in minutes using just a few simple ingredients. In this recipe, feta cheese and pine nuts are added for extra flavor and texture.
- What's not to love about grilled brats? They're tasty, affordable and conveniently easy to cook. Plus, they're the perfect party food - versatile enough for any occasion. Whether you're celebrating a special occasion or just grilling out with your friends, these brats are sure to be a hit!
- Whether you're new to grilling or an experienced pro, this Grilled Filet Mignon is sure to impress.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan
- 24 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast pounded to even thickness
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning or oregano
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup marinara divided
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan
- For serving: fresh basil or parsley
- Place the chicken on a sheet pan or large plate and brush with the avocado oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.
- Sprinkle over the chicken and refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. (About 400 ° F.)
- Grill the chicken for 3 minutes per side.
- Carefully spread about 1 tablespoon of marinara over each piece of chicken, and top with the mozzarella slices.
- Cook with the lid down just until the cheese melts and the internal temperature of the chicken is 160° F, about another 3 to 4 minutes.
Ninja Foodi Grill
- Set your Foodi grill to Grill, High. And lower the lid. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
- When the grill is preheated, add the chicken. Cook for 3 minutes, and then flip.
- Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the marinara and mozzarella cheese, and cook until the cheese melts, about 3 to 4 more minutes.
- For serving
- Remove the chicken from the grill. Top with the grated parmesan and sprinkle with fresh basil or parsley.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with the remaining marinara on the side.