You are going to fall in love with this delicious Grilled Steak Recipe! Here a spicy sweet slaw lends the perfect balance to butter topped meat. This dish is a particular favorite in spring and summer, when all I want to do is hang out by the pool and watch the kids swim. It is perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon and one of our favorite meaty mains.
This is a sponsored post brought to you by McCormick® at Walmart. All opinions are my own.
Grilled Steak Recipe Backstory
My dad wasn’t one for grilling anything other than hamburgers, and for years I thought that you had to go to a restaurant to have a good steak.
These days I know better – grilling a perfect mouthwatering steak at home is so easy! (And a lot more budget-friendly than a trip to a steak house.)
And it is a good thing too. Because guys….I have teen boys.
Two of them.
They are just 13 and 14, but one of them is approaching six feet tall and the other is already over six feet. I used to think people were kidding about how much a teen boy could eat.
But I was wrong.
Since there is nothing they enjoy more than steak, I know I can count on family time when the weather is nice, and I fire up the grill.
Most of the time the kids will swim while the grill is heating, and the steaks are cooking. Sometimes my oldest will help with the meal prep.
The good news is that this grilled steak recipe is ridiculously easy, so I’ve got plenty of time to enjoy the fun. I’ve always thought of steak as the ultimate fast food. It isn’t fussy and it doesn’t need to cook long at all.
Yet it still feels like a celebration worthy dish.
I love the laid-back vibe of afternoons around the grill with family and friends. The better the food, the more I enjoy summer. Flavor is such a powerful thing, right? It can elevate your grilling experience from a 3 to a 10.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The best way to thaw a frozen steak is in the refrigerator. If you don’t have time to do this, place the steak in a zip top bag and place the bag in cold water. Change the water every 30 minutes, until the steak is thawed. You can read more about safely thawing meat here.
You should remove your steak from the grill when the internal temperature reaches 5 degrees below your desired doneness.
Remove the steak when it is:
120 degrees - Rare
130 degrees - Medium Rare
140 degrees - Medium
145 degrees - Medium Well
155 degrees - Well Done
Tips for Making This Recipe:
- If you have the time, salt and pepper the steak at least 40 minutes before cooking and up to overnight. Overnight seasoning creates a brine with the juices from the meat. It also dissolves some of the meat proteins, allowing them to reabsorb the liquid and seasonings. The result is improved texture and intensified flavorings.
- Don’t skip resting the steak after it is cooked. If you cut the steak immediately, the juices flood out and you end up with a meat that is less flavorful and juicy than it would be otherwise.
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe:
- Mixing Bowls
- Grill or Grill Pan
Grilled Steak Recipe
Grilled Steak Recipe with Spicy Slaw
- 1 ½ pounds steak
- Salt and McCormick® Black Pepper
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Frank’s® RedHot® Original Sauce
- 1 tablespoon French’s® Mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar or sweetener of choice
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper
- Let the steak sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the steak is coming to room temperature, make the butter and slaw.
- Place the cabbage, red onion, and jalapeños in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, Franks® RedHot® Original Sauce, French’s® Mustard, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add to cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Mix the butter, pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Using clean hands, form into a log. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; oil the grill grate.
- Pat the steaks dry and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Grill steak to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes, then top with butter and serve with slaw.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of McCormick® at Walmart.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- Gluten Free Summer Grilling
- Blue Cheese Coleslaw
- Steak with Creamy Spinach Parmesan
- Blue Cheese Bacon Steak Salad
- Broccoli Slaw Salad