You won’t believe how easy it is to throw together this homemade pimento cheese recipe! This flavor-packed dip is the perfect appetizer for your next grill-out. And Bonus: It takes less than 10 minutes to make this easy recipe!
- 1 Homemade Pimento Cheese Backstory
- 2 How to Make This Recipe:
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions For Making This Easy Homemade Pimento Cheese Recipe:
- 4 Variations
- 5 Tools Need to Make Homemade Pimento Cheese Recipe
- 6 Serving Suggestions
- 7 How To Make Homemade Pimento Cheese
- 8 If You Like Recipe You May Also Like:
- 9 Looking More Inspiration?
Homemade Pimento Cheese Backstory
Growing up with a very Southern grandmother, I have vivid memories of arriving at her house to be informed that she had prepared her Homemade Pimento Cheese Recipe, and it was waiting for us in the fridge.
As a child, I was not impressed.
I don’t ever recall eating it beyond taking a bite and curling up my nose. (I so sympathize for my Grandmother now. My kids do this to me all the time.)
I am sure that it was good, despite my childhood reluctance.
In my defense, I was scarred by my Dad who had previously tried to force a Pimento Cheese Sandwich on me. Said sandwich was made with store-bought Pimento Cheese and untoasted white bread.
Guys, this was the early 80’s. The Pimento Cheese wasn’t some gourmet fair from Whole Foods or the Fresh Market. It was something that resembled orange mayonnaise and from what I can remember had little flavor beyond this.
It was the texture that ruined it for me. It was goopy, drippy, and just gross.
It was an emotionally scarring moment of my childhood. 🙂
I might have never tried to make homemade pimento cheese myself had it not been for a burger I had a few years back at Seagrove Village Market.
Anyone who knows me well knows that I don’t get too excited about burgers. Skye was around three at the time, so somewhere fancy was out. And my boys LOVE burgers. (Plus, this was at the beach.)
One of the optional add-ons was Jalapeno Pimento Cheese, and on a whim, I decided to try it.
Giving pimento cheese a try again was a gamble, but it was one that worked out spectacularly.
I had that burger almost every week that fall, and when we left the beach vowed to recreate the Jalapeno Pimento Cheese recipe at home.
If try this, I think you will agree with me that this is nothing like my Dad’s grocery store pimento cheese from the 80’s.
With high-quality cheeses and a hint of kick, this Pimento Cheese Recipe is one that has become a staple around our house. I most often serve it with vegetables as an appetizer, but it is fabulous on a burger as well.
If jalapenos aren’t your thing, feel free to omit them. The recipe stands up well on its own.
On the other hand, if you want more kick, you can always add in a bit more cayenne or an extra jalapeno. (Though in that case, you might need to rename it Firecracker Pimento Cheese.)
How to Make This Recipe:
Time needed: 8 minutes.
Step By Step Instructions for Making Pimento Cheese
- Gather your ingredients
- Combine Ingredients
Combine cheddar, Gouda, cream cheese, mayo, jalapenos, pimentos, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper in the bowl of a stand mixer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Beat Until Smooth
Beat the ingredients on medium-low speed until smooth.
Frequently Asked Questions For Making This Easy Homemade Pimento Cheese Recipe:
There are a lot of different variations, but a constant is most always mayonnaise, pimentos, and cheddar. Other cheeses, including American, Swiss and cheddar are also common. Roasted red peppers are sometimes substituted when pimentos are not on hand.
Most will last in the refrigerator for a week. However, if you use homemade mayonnaise, it is best eaten within four days as homemade mayonnaise does not have any preservatives.
It is often served with crackers, carrot sticks, celery sticks and sliced peppers. It is also common to serve it on burgers or in a sandwich.
- Use one jarred roasted red pepper in place of pimentos and Monterey Jack in place of the smoked gouda.
- Roast the jalapeños for 5 to 10 minutes over a gas flame until the skin is blistered. Transfer to a bowl and cover. Let steam for 10 minutes and then peel, seed and chop.
- Add two teaspoons Worcestershire sauce.
- Add two tablespoons finely chopped onion, and two tablespoons jarred banana peppers.
- Use goat cheese in place of cream cheese.
Tools Need to Make Homemade Pimento Cheese Recipe
The following are affiliate links. We are a participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Make Pimento Cheese Sandwiches or Pimento Cheese BLTs
- Serve with crackers and vegetables as an appetizer.
- Use as a topping for burgers.
How To Make Homemade Pimento Cheese
- 10 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 ounces smoked gouda or gruyere shredded
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise preferably homemade
- 2 jalapenos seeded and diced
- 4 ounces jarred pimentos drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine cheddar cheese, gouda, cream cheese, mayonnaise, jalapenos, pimentos, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Beat with a mixer until combined. (You may also make this in a food processor.)
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.