This Homemade Pimento Cheese recipe with is sure to be a hit at your next get-together! The jalapenos and gouda cheese pack in a ton of flavor that immediate elevates this dish above traditional pimento cheese dip. Serve with crackers, chips, or cruidite. It's the perfect snack, appetizer, and side dish for any occasion!
Growing up with a very Southern grandmother, I have vivid memories of arriving at her house to be informed that she had prepared her Homemade Pimento Cheese Recipe, and it was waiting for us in the fridge.
But as a child, I was not impressed.
I don't ever recall eating it beyond taking a bite and curling up my nose. (I so sympathize for my Grandmother now. My kids do this to me all the time!) I'm sure it was good, though, despite my childhood reluctance.
In truth, I might have never tried to make homemade pimento cheese myself had it not been for a burger I had a few years back at Seagrove Village Market. One of the optional add-ons was Jalapeno Pimento Cheese, and on a whim, I decided to try it (despite not loving it as a child). And, man, am I glad I did because it made me a complete pimento cheese convert! I knew I had to make it for myself back home that would rival even that of the famous Master's pimento cheese sandwich.
With high-quality cheeses and a hint of spice, this smoky and spicy Pimento Cheese Recipe is one that has become a staple around our house. I most often serve it with vegetables as an appetizer, but it is fabulous on a burger as well.
If jalapenos aren't your thing, feel free to omit them. The recipe stands up well on its own. But if you want more kick, you can always add in a bit more cayenne or an extra jalapeno. (Though in that case, you might need to rename it Firecracker Pimento Cheese.)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: I recommend grating a block of cheese instead of using the prepackaged stuff, as it typically has an almost powdery residue that is off putting when the cheddar is a star ingredient (and not melted).
- Shredded Smoked Gouda: You can also use gruyere, but either way make sure it's shredded. Again, grated from the block is best.
- Cream Cheese: One block, softened to room temperature. This is crucial for achieving a lump-free, smooth pimento cheese spread.
- Mayonnaise: In a dish like this homemade pimento cheese recipe, I recommend using homemade mayonnaise, but if you prefer to use something off the shelf, that will work, too. Just opt for a high-quality brand, like Primal Kitchen.
- Jalapenos: Seeded and diced. If you want them less spicy, remove the membranes. For more heat, leave some of the seeds.
- Jarred Pimentos: You'll need a small, 4-oz. jar. Make sure to drain it thoroughly, but do not rinse the diced peppers.
- Dry Seasonings: I used a combination of garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Perfection!
How To Make Homemade Pimento Cheese
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients - You will need cream cheese, jalapenos, cheddar cheese, smoked Gouda cheese, pimentos, mayonnaise, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
Step 2: Place everything in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Step 3: Mix until well combined. It really is that simple!
Frequently Asked Questions
There are a lot of different variations, but a constant is most always mayonnaise, pimentos, and cheddar. Other cheeses, including American, Swiss and cheddar are also common. Roasted red peppers are sometimes substituted when pimentos are not on hand.
Most will last in the refrigerator for a week. However, if you use homemade mayonnaise, it is best eaten within four days as homemade mayonnaise does not have any preservatives.
It is often served with crackers, carrot sticks, celery sticks and sliced peppers. It is also common to serve it on burgers or in a sandwich.
- Use one jarred roasted red pepper (diced) in place of pimentos, if preferred.
- Not a fan of smoked cheeses? Swap monterey jack for the gouda.
- Roast the jalapeños for 5 to 10 minutes over a gas flame until the skin is blistered. Transfer to a bowl and cover. Let steam for 10 minutes and then peel, seed, and chop. This offers more smokiness and a calmer heat, while still proving the taste of the pepper itself.
- Add two teaspoons Worcestershire sauce.
- Add two tablespoons finely chopped onion, and two tablespoons jarred banana peppers for more flavor.
- Use goat cheese in place of cream cheese for a tangy twist (or half and half of both).
Tools Needed to Make Pimento Cheese
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
- Make Pimento Cheese Sandwiches with some of that homemade mayo, thick tomato slices, and crisp green lettuce on slightly toasted white bread.
- Amp up your BLT game with a schmear of pimento cheese.
- Serve with crackers and vegetables as an appetizer.
- Use as a topping for burgers and fried chicken sandwiches.
- Stir into cooked grits for a flavorful spin on cheese grits.
- Use as a topping for baked potatoes.
If You Like Recipe You May Also Like:
- Quinoa Crusted Chicken
- Avocado Cream
- Creamy Garlic Feta Dip
- Zucchini Chips with Sriracha Dipping Sauce
- Vegetable Stuffed Mushrooms
Homemade Pimento Cheese
- 10 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 ounces smoked gouda or gruyere shredded
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise preferably homemade
- 2 jalapenos seeded and diced
- 4 ounces jarred pimentos drained
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine cheddar cheese, gouda, cream cheese, mayonnaise, jalapenos, pimentos, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Beat with a mixer until combined. (You may also make this in a food processor.)
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.