If you're looking for a natural way to get rid of pests, you should try using essential oils. They are non-toxic and smell great! In this post, we will discuss the best essential oils for pest control and how to use them.
We will also provide a handy chart that shows which oils to use for which pests. So don't go spraying toxic chemicals in your home anymore! Try using insect repellents made with essential oils and see how easy it is!
You probably already know you shouldn't be using commercial bug spray. Not only is it sticky and smelly, but it is also loaded with harmful toxins.
(Have you ever actually read the label on chemicals like DEET? Not exactly something I want to put on my skin.)
Just say no to toxic chemicals and use essential oils for insect control. (You can also use essential oils for bug bites. They are the best way I know of to soothe discomfort. This DIY Bug Balm is amazing.)
There are a variety of essential oils that you can use for pest control.
The most popular ones include: citronella oil, eucalyptus, juniper berry, lavender, lemon eucalyptus, lemongrass, patchouli, peppermint, rosemary, sage, spearmint, and tea tree oil.
Each of these oils has unique properties that make it effective against pests.
The Best Essential Oils to Use as a Natural Insect Repellent
- Citronella Oil: Citronella oil is effective against flies, mosquitoes, and other flying insects. It can be used in natural candles to keep pests away.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus oil is an effective natural insect repellent. It has a strong scent that bugs don't like, and it also repels mosquitoes.
- Though it offers excellent protection against bugs, make sure that you do not use this oil on small children. It can cause skin irritation and may cause breathing problems in young children.
- Juniper Berry: Juniper berry oil is another great oil for pest control. It has a fresh, woodsy scent that bugs hate.
- Lavender: Lavender essential oil is not only good for relaxation, but it's also good for keeping pests away!
- Many bugs hate the smell of lavender, so this is a great oil to use as an insect repellent. This oil is effective against moths, and other insects attracted to fabric.
- Lemon Eucalyptus Oil: Lemon eucalyptus oil is an effective natural bug repellent. It has a strong citrus scent that bugs don't like, and it also offers protection from mosquitoes.
- Lemongrass: Lemongrass has a citrusy scent that many bugs can't stand. It's also known to be effective against ticks and fleas and is also one of my favorite mosquito repellents.
- Patchouli: Patchouli oil is another excellent essential oil for pest control. It has a strong, earthy scent that bugs hate.
- Peppermint: Peppermint oil is a great insecticide. Bugs hate the smell of peppermint, and it's also known to be effective against ants, cockroaches, and spiders.
- Using peppermint oil for bugs is safe for children six years old and older. (Just make sure you always dilute it sufficiently when creating a natural bug spray.)
- Rosemary: Rosemary oil is an effective natural insecticide. It has a strong scent that bugs don't like, and it's known to be effective against mosquitoes.
- Sage: Sage oil is another great essential oil for pest control. It has a fresh, woodsy scent that bugs hate.
- Spearmint: Spearmint oil is a great oil to control bugs. Bugs hate the smell of spearmint, and it's known to be effective against ants, cockroaches, and spiders.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is an effective way to deter pests. It has a strong, earthy scent that bugs hate, and it's also known to be effective against ticks and fleas.
So what is the best essential oil to use? That depends on which pest you are trying to repel! Reference the chart provided for some basic guidelines, and then experiment with these and other oils to see what works best for you.
Essential Oil Pest Control Chart
How Do You Use Essential Oils for Pests?
Using essential oils for pest control can work in several different ways. You can either make a spray or an ointment, or you can add the oils to a diffuser.
Essential Oil Spray to Repel Pests
Mix equal parts of water and witch hazel in a small spray bottle to make a bug spray.
Next, add 20-30 drops of the desired oil or oil blend.
Shake well, and spritz around the perimeter of your home or wherever else you’d like to keep bugs away. (You can also saturate a cotton ball and leave it at entry points.)
You can also use this blend on your skin. (And it won't leave you feeling sticky - thanks to the witch hazel, it will evaporate quickly.) Shake well, and then mist yourself lightly whenever you go outside.
Ointment to Repel Mosquitoes and Other Pests
If you’d prefer to make an essential oil bug repellent ointment, start by mixing together equal parts beeswax and coconut oil.
Melt this mixture over low heat, then remove from heat and stir in 20-30 drops of oils. (See the and chart above to determine which is best.) Pour into a small jar and apply to exposed skin whenever you’ll be spending time outdoors.
Diffusing Oils to Keep Bugs Away
Adding oils to a diffuser is also an effective way to keep bugs at bay. Simply add a few drops of the oil to your diffuser and enjoy the refreshing scent while keeping bugs away!
Repelling Mosquitoes with Essential Oils
There are a few essential oils that are particularly effective at repelling mosquitoes. Citronella oil, juniper berry, lavender, lemon eucalyptus oil, lemongrass, and peppermint oil are all great options. You can use these oils alone or in a blend to make a natural mosquito repellent.
What About Fruit Flies?
Fruit flies are common household pests that can be difficult to get rid of. Essential oils can be a natural and effective way to keep them away. Some essential oils that are effective against them include eucalyptus, lavender, lemongrass, and peppermint.
These essential oils work because they repel or kill the flies. You can use them by diffusing them in your home or by applying them directly to surfaces where flies are present.
Natural Fruit Fly Trap
If you're looking for a natural way to keep fruit flies away, essential oils may be the answer. While there are many essential oils that can help repel fruit flies, one of the most effective is peppermint oil.
To make a homemade fruit fly trap using essential oils, simply add a few drops of peppermint oil to a bowl of vinegar. The fruit flies will be attracted to the vinegar but won't be able to escape once they get in. This trap can be used over and over again until it's full of fruit flies, at which point you can dispose of it outside.
Another great essential oil for keeping fruit flies away is lemongrass oil. Lemongrass oil has both repellent and has insecticidal properties, making it a great option for keeping fruit flies away.
As you can see, there are a variety of oils that can be used for pest control. Each oil has its own unique properties that make it effective against pests. So if you're looking for a safe and effective way to get rid of pests, then try using oils! You won't regret it!
What is your favorite essential oil for pest control? Let us know in the comments below! And don't forget to check out our handy chart that shows which oils to use for which pests! Happy oiling!
When using oils, be sure to use caution. Some people may have reactions to certain oils, and not all oils are safe for small children. If you have any concerns, be sure to consult with a healthcare professional before using any essential oils.