True story: I had a salad for breakfast every single day for about five years.
Though I would never be called a conformist, even my fellow color outside the lines family members think this is odd. The idea of something sweet in the morning doesn’t appeal. The idea of a plate full of vegetables does.
Lately, I’ve been opting for veggie wraps over salads, I still try to get a salad in more days than not.
I love changing my salads with the seasons. There is nothing better to me than fresh seasonal produce.
For fall I love this Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Cashews.
What’s not to love?
Packed with crisp apples and delicious roasted beets, this salad is the perfect blend of sweet and savory.
Since chances are most of you aren’t as wild as I am about vegetables in the morning, I won’t suggest you make this tomorrow’s breakfast. But do make it! It makes a great lunch. For a little more protein, try adding in cooked chicken or tempeh!
Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Cashews
- Roast Beets
- 4 medium beets trimmed and scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 4 radishes julienned
- 1 apple diced
- 2 ounces goat cheese or nut cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place beets on it. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap beets up in foil and roast until tender, about 75 minutes. Allow to cool and slice into wedges.
- Make Dressing by combining chia seeds with water and stirring well. Set aside until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- In a blender combine onion, garlic, maple syrup, mustard and white balsamic vinegar. Process until combined and then add in chia gel and olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Make salad by combining greens, radishes, apple, beets and goat cheese. Toss with dressing and top with cashews.