If you are passionate about eating delicious food that leaves you feeling great, you are going to love this Kale Apple Salad. While it tips its hat to a traditional Waldorf Salad with the fruit and nut combo, the light and punchy dressing is a welcome change to the heavy creamy dressing you usually find. You will love the vibrant flavors here.
This Kale Apple Salad is the Perfect Way to Fuel Your Day!
I don’t know about you, but after so much heavy food lately, I am so ready to get my veg back on. I’m committed to eating salad for at least one meal a day this month, and today I’ve got a fun Kale Apple Salad that is perfect for fall.
It tips its hat to a Kale Waldorf Salad, while remaining a bit unique.
There is no creamy dressing involved, and I’ve candied the pecans.
Don’t let that stop you from trying this Kale Apple Salad! Packed with nutrition, this delicious salad features a delicious lime vinaigrette with a kick of ginger and sesame oil.
I’ve gone heavy on the greens here, because…we need ’em!
Feel free to reduce the amount if you aren’t feeling it. Also, if bitter greens aren’t your thing, romaine and/or spinach would sub in nicely for the endive and radicchio.
Tips & Tricks
- While completely optional, I recommend massaging the kale before adding it to do the salad. To do this, trim the kale and tear it into bite-sized pieces. Drizzle with oil. With clean hands, massage the kale until the leaves have softened and the volume has been reduced. The leaves will still be chewy, but the bitterness will be gone.
- You can store massaged kale in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- If you want to chop the apple prior to serving, I recommend coating it with lemon juice. This will help to reduce the amount of browning.
Variations for This Recipe:
- This salad is also amazing with my Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing Recipe.
- For a complete meal, add 16 ounces of diced cooked chicken, or 1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans. (Or go wild and add both!)
- I love this salad with Quick Pickled Onions added.
- Cheese is always a good idea and I like feta cheese here. Or you can go with the traditional apple-cheddar combo.
If You Like this Kale and Apple Salad, You May Also Like:
- This Asian Quinoa Salad is packed with the Asian flavors you love and perfect for lunch.
- Looking for something special that is pretty enough for company?Pomegranate Quinoa Salad with Candied Almonds
- Fried Goat Cheese Salad with Grapes & Walnuts
- Citrus Quinoa Salad
- Grilled Chicken Halloumi Salad
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified purchases.
Kale and Apple Salad Recipe
This Kale Apple Salad is a healthy vegan salad recipe that the whole family will love. It is a fun twist on a classic Waldorf Salad, with candied walnuts and a lightened up dressing that will become a favorite. Finish it off with a little flaky salt if you like.
Kale Apple Salad
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 heads kale chopped fine and massaged (optional)
- 2 heads endive chopped
- 1 head radicchio. chopped
- 1 apple cored and diced
- 1 cup seedless red grapes sliced in half
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- Place a skillet over medium high heat. Add walnuts, coconut nectar and sea salt. Cook, stirring constantly for about four minutes. Remove walnuts from pan and all to cool on parchment paper.
- Combine lime juice, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, dark sesame oil and Swerve in a blender. Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine kale, endive, radicchio, apple, grapes, celery and tomatoes. Toss with dressing and serve.