This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Casserole is the perfect weeknight meal solution! With red pepper, corn, chicken, cheese and salsa, this slow cooker meal is one the whole family will love. Gluten Free with Vegan Option.
I have a confession to make.
I was very slow to jump on the Slow Cooker bandwagon. Perhaps it was a bit of prejudice left over from my everything-has-to-be-from-Fine-Cooking-or-Bon-Appetit days, but I always thought they were a little...boring.
And not like really cooking.
Then reality sunk in. I found myself the proud, but very tired mom to two active boys and a toddler with an energy level of the Energizer bunny. Suddenly meals that could be accomplished earlier in the day BEFORE I felt like curling up in the corner and whimpering became appealing. So what if it isn't the sexiest thing in the world? It's not as if my stretched out yoga pants covered in toddler food are exactly helping me out in that department either. They still make the cut.
You know what is even better? Unlike the aforementioned yoga pants, it turns out that your slow cooker doesn't have to be dull at all.
These days mine is getting a very serious workout (hello, keeping the oven off!) and I think yours should too!
To convince you, I've got a fairly healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Casserole that will have your taste buds singing. Even toddlers break for this one!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Casserole (Gluten Free)
Adapted from All You Magazine.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 cups organic frozen corn thawed
- 1 lb cooked chicken or tempeh shredded
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese shredded (or Daiya) - divided
- 32 ounces salsa
- 12 organic corn tortillas or use my quinoa corn tortillas
- For serving: Diced Avocado Cilantro, Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream (optional)
- In a large bowl combine onion, bell pepper, corn, chicken or temp, taco seasoning, cilantro, garlic, salt and ½ cup of cheese.
- Spread ⅓ of the salsa in slow cooker. Layer 6 tortillas over the salsa, overlapping. Top with ½ of the chicken filling, ⅓ of the salsa and ½ cup of the cheese. Layer remaining 6 tortillas on top. Top with remaining filling and salsa. (Reserve remaining cheese)
- Cook on low for 2 to 4 hours. In the last 20 minutes of cooking, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serve with avocado and Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream.
With Tempeh: Servings 8, Calories 433, Fat 21.7g, Carbohydrates 39g, Protein 26.2g, Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 1084mg, Potassium 827mg, Fiber 5.6g, Sugars 6.4g
Hi Wendy, this 'casserole' is just what I'm looking for. However, your pictures show it stacked on a platter, not served out of the crock pot. How did you get the stack out of the crockpot so you could serve it like that?
Very carefully! To be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to but the photos in the crockpot didn't come out good at all. I let it cool for a few minutes and then used two spatulas to lift it from the bottom and then one and my (clean) hands to get it on the platter. Hope this helps!
OMG, this was so good. Thanks for sharing.