Imagine coming home after a long day, lifting the lid off your slow cooker, and being greeted by the delicious aroma of a cheesy Crockpot Mexican Casserole. This flavorful dish is made up of layers of corn tortillas, melted cheese, robust salsa, chicken, red bell pepper, and sweet corn, creating a celebration of flavors that is both easy to make and family-friendly. 🎉🌮🧀
When you need a delicious meal that the whole family will enjoy, this Crockpot Mexican Casserole is just what you are looking for. It is flavor-packed but incredibly easy.
All you need to do is layer tortillas, cheese, and a medley of colorful ingredients, and then let your trusty crockpot do all the hard work.
Recipe Highlights for Crockpot Mexican Casserole
EFFORTLESS AND HASSLE-FREE: This Crockpot Mexican Casserole is as simple as it gets. Don't worry, I'll be guiding you through each step with clear instructions and helpful tips. You'll be amazed at how easily this casserole comes together!
A FIESTA OF FLAVORS: For all my Mexican food lovers out there, this one's for you! This casserole is bursting with flavors that will transport you straight to a vibrant fiesta in Mexico. We're talking a hearty mix of ground beef, beans, corn, a blend of Mexican spices, and a generous topping of melted cheese. It's a true flavor fiesta in every bite!
THE ULTIMATE FAMILY MEAL: Whether you're serving it up for a cozy family dinner, a potluck with friends, or simply preparing meals for the week ahead, this Crockpot Mexican Casserole is the epitome of comfort food. Trust me, it's going to become a regular on your family's dinner table. Plus, it's a great way to introduce the kids to new flavors and textures. So gather your loved ones around the table and let's dig into this delicious casserole!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Onion: Make sure it is chopped finely to ensure it blends well with the other ingredients.
- Red Bell Pepper: Feel free to switch it up with yellow or green bell peppers if you prefer.
- Frozen Corn: This adds a pop of sweetness and texture to the dish. Fresh corn would work just as well when it's in season.
- Cooked Chicken: You can pick up a rotissere chicken at the grocery store, or use my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken. If you plan ahead, my Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken is a great option.
- Taco Seasoning: This is where the magic happens. Taco seasoning infuses the casserole with that authentic Mexican flavor. You can make your own blend at home or purchase a pre-made mix from the store.
- Fresh Cilantro: A sprinkle of fresh cilantro adds a refreshing touch. If you're one of those people who find cilantro tastes like soap, feel free to omit it.
- Garlic: Minced garlic gives a punch of flavor that complements the other ingredients beautifully. Garlic powder can be used in a pinch.
- Sea Salt: A little bit of sea salt goes a long way in enhancing the flavors of the dish. Feel free to adjust to your taste.
- Cheddar Cheese: Who doesn't love a good cheesy casserole? We use shredded cheddar, but if you're dairy-free, Daiya is a fantastic vegan cheese substitute.
- Salsa: This adds an extra layer of tangy, spicy goodness. Choose a salsa that suits your heat preference - mild, medium, or hot.
- Organic Corn Tortillas: These form the delicious layers in our casserole. If you're feeling adventurous, try my homemade quinoa corn tortillas.
- For Serving: Diced Avocado, Cilantro, Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream (optional): These toppings add a final flourish to your dish. You can choose one, all, or create your own combination.
How to Make
Combine onion, bell pepper, corn, chicken or tempeh, taco seasoning, cilantro, garlic, salt, and a portion of cheese in a large bowl.
Spread a layer of salsa at the bottom of the slow cooker.
Layer half of your tortillas over the salsa, ensuring they overlap.
Add half of your prepared filling on top of the tortillas, followed by another layer of salsa and a sprinkle of cheese.
Place the remaining tortillas over this layer, followed by the rest of your filling and salsa, saving some cheese for later.
Set your slow cooker to low and let it do its magic for 2 to 4 hours.
20 minutes before serving, add the remaining cheese.
Tips and Tricks
- Take Your Time: One of the best things about using a slow cooker is that it does all the hard work for you. So, don't rush your casserole – let it cook on low heat for the full 4 hours to allow all those flavors to meld together beautifully.
- Get Creative with Fillings: Don't be afraid to mix things up! Try adding some black beans or diced jalapeños to the mix for an extra kick.
- Cheese Matters: I love using a sharp cheddar for this recipe because it melts beautifully and adds a rich flavor. But feel free to experiment with other types of cheese like Monterey Jack, a Mexican Blend or Pepper Jack for a bit of a spicy twist.
- Serving Suggestions: This casserole is a meal in itself, but if you want to round it out, serve it with a side of cilantro-lime rice or a fresh green salad. And don't forget the toppings – diced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice take this casserole to the next level.
- Leftovers are Great: If you have leftovers (which is a big "if" in my house!), they reheat wonderfully for lunch the next day. Just store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo: Imagine coming home to a creamy, comforting bowl of Chicken Alfredo, made effortlessly in your slow cooker - it's a dream come true!
- Slow Cooker Penne: This Slow Cooker Penne is my family's go-to for busy weeknights; it's hearty, delicious and oh-so-easy to prepare.
- Slow Cooker Enchiladas: Want to take a culinary trip to Mexico without leaving your kitchen? Try these Slow Cooker Enchiladas - they're packed with flavor and sure to be a hit with the whole family.
- Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti: If you're a fan of spaghetti and love the convenience of a crockpot, then this Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti is a must-try - it's a crowd-pleaser every time.
Slow Cooker Mexican Casserole
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 1 lb cooked chicken shredded
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese shredded (or Daiya) - divided
- 32 ounces salsa
- 12 organic corn tortillas or use my quinoa corn tortillas
- For serving: Diced Avocado Cilantro, Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream (optional)
- In a large bowl combine onion, bell pepper, corn, chicken or temp, taco seasoning, cilantro, garlic, salt and ½ cup of cheese.
- Spread ⅓ of the salsa in slow cooker. Layer 6 tortillas over the salsa, overlapping. Top with ½ of the chicken filling, ⅓ of the salsa and ½ cup of the cheese. Layer remaining 6 tortillas on top. Top with remaining filling and salsa. (Reserve remaining cheese)
- Cook on low for 2 to 4 hours. In the last 20 minutes of cooking, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serve with avocado and Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream.
With Tempeh: Servings 8, Calories 433, Fat 21.7g, Carbohydrates 39g, Protein 26.2g, Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 1084mg, Potassium 827mg, Fiber 5.6g, Sugars 6.4g