Hello new friends!! I’m Jennifer from Crockpot Gourmetand I was super excited when Wendy asked me to do a guest post! I’m passionate about making healthy, fresh and delicious meals for my family but they also have to be quick and simple. I like to use quinoa wherever I can because it’s such a perfect food. Full of protein and so healthy! Today I’m bringing you a couple of ideas for easy, bite sized meals that you can can make ahead of time and keep on hand in your freezer. Perfect for kids or grown ups!
Up first are my Sneaky Veggie Breakfast Bites. My son is an awesome veggie eater but my daughter, well, not so much. These are great as you can customize them to your family’s veggie preferences or you could even use bacon or sausage. I filled mine with grated zucchini and yellow tomatoes that basically blended in with the eggs, hence the sneaky veggies. My daughter has no idea and therefore she loves these. I love giving the kids a healthy, filling breakfast. And I especially love that since I made these up ahead of time the only work required on busy school mornings is popping these in the microwave for a few seconds!
Next up is lunch! Whether you need a quick and easy lunch to take to work or a lunch you know your kids will eat these BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bites are sure to be a hit. Loaded up with healthy protein to keep you full until dinner time without any of the yucky stuff to make you sleepy. Because we’ve all been there, right?! Eat a big lunch so you can power through the rest of your day only to wind up drooling over your keyboard and wondering if anyone noticed the head bobbing going on in your cubicle. Please tell me I’m not the only one!
Again, these lunch bites (or dinner bites for that matter!) are also super easy to make ahead and freeze for those busy days. Just pop them in the lunch box and then heat up at the office. Or for the kiddos you can thaw them out and serve cold in the the lunch box. Whichever way you go make sure you include a small container of your favorite BBQ sauce for dipping.
Sneaky Veggie Quinoa Breakfast Bites
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- ½ cup shredded zucchini use a box grater
- ¼ cup 5-6 yellow (or red) grape tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed rosemary
- ? teaspoon pepper
- Grease a 24 cup mini muffin pan very well with nonstick spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and let cool.
- Prepare veggies by grating zucchini and quartering grape tomatoes.
- In large measuring cup with spout, whisk together eggs. Stir in quinoa until evenly mixed.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until evenly combined.
- Carefully pour evenly into 20 of the muffin tins, careful not to overfill (they won't expand much, but just a little).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing muffins to a cooling rack.
- Place cooled muffins in freezer bag if desired and place in freezer.
- To heat: defrost in microwave for about 1 minute and then cook on high for 30 seconds or until heated through.
And there you have it! A couple of simple, healthy breakfast and lunch ideas for busy families on the go.
Be sure to swing on by and let me know if you make these! You can find me here: