Spicy Roasted Cajun Chickpeas are a delicious and healthy snack! These roasted chickpeas are also great on salads and in wraps. Healthy & Delicious.
Growing up in the 80's, chickpeas were something that I only got at salad bars. Usually smothered with ranch dressing and along side a whole lot of cottage cheese.
I am quite certain that they never entered our home.
In fact, now that I think about it, I don't really remember eating a whole lot of beans. Peas, yes. But it wasn't until I was much older that I started making chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), black beans and pinto beans a regular part of my diet.
For a while when Skye was tiny, I had to give them up because they really bothered her stomach.
It was a sad time, folks.
I'm sure to many of you that sounds crazy, but the truth is that while I eat meat, I very often prefer beans.
During those months, roasted chickpeas (garbanzos) were missed the most.
There are so many different varieties to enjoy. I most often make taco seasoned garbanzos because Alex adores them. (I will post those soon!) Anytime I can get healthy food into my pickiest eater I gotta go for it. These, which can be a bit too spicy for him, are near the top of my list of favorites.
I absolutely adore them in wraps and on salads. Plain garbanzos are just fine in both, but these babies take things up a notch.
One thing to remember is that the heat in cajun seasoning can vary wildly. I most often make my own blend, but if you are working with one you aren't sure how hot is, I recommend starting with one teaspoon, tasting and then adding more to your personal preference.
4-Ingredient Spicy Roasted Cajun Chickpeas
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (about 1 can) drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pat rinsed chickpeas with a clean kitchen towel and place in a large bowl. Add olive oil, cajun seasoning and sea salt. Toss to coat and transfer to a prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, stirring half way through. Remove from oven and allow to cool.