If you're looking for a way to jump-start your day, essential oils to wake up might be what you need! Many essential oils are naturally energizing and can help you feel more alert. In this post, we will discuss the best essential oils to use for waking up and recipes for making wake-up sprays that work well for both kids and adults.
We all want to wake up feeling refreshed and full of energy, but sometimes that doesn’t happen.
When your energy levels are low, try adding essential oils to your day. They are a great way to boost your energy, and as a bonus, they smell great!
Whether you add them to your morning routine or use them to get through an afternoon slump, diffuser blends and room sprays can help give you a mental and physical boost.
Science backs that certain oils can help make you more alert. This is because essential oils stimulate the limbic system, the part of your brain that controls how alert you feel.
When you inhale an oil, the scent travels into your olfactory system, which delivers the smell to the brain’s limbic system. The limbic system is the seat of emotions and the originator of emotional behavior.
The connection between smell and the brain's limbic system is why certain scents can leave you relaxed while others leave you invigorated.
So what are the best oils to use for waking up? Here are our top picks:
Essential Oils that Wake You Up
Here are some of the best essential oils to use for an energy boost:
- Basil: This oil is refreshing and has a slightly sweet, herbaceous scent. Basil is known for its ability to improve mental clarity and focus.
- Bergamot: Bergamot has a citrusy, uplifting fragrance that can help to reduce stress and promote feelings of well-being.
- Cypress: Cypress oil has a fresh, woody scent invigorating and energizing. Cypress is also known for its ability to improve circulation.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit essential oil is one of the best essential oils for waking up. It has a refreshing, citrusy scent that can help to invigorate you and reduce fatigue. Grapefruit essential oil also helps improve circulation and boost energy levels.
- Peppermint: This oil is cooling and refreshing, making it perfect for mornings. It is also great for mental clarity and focus.
- Lemon: Lemon is a citrus oil that is uplifting and energizing. It can help improve your mood and mental alertness.
- Rosemary: Rosemary is another excellent oil for mental clarity and focus. It can also help to improve circulation and energy levels.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit is a refreshing oil that is great for mornings. It can help to reduce fatigue and boost your mood.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a warming oil that is perfect for chilly mornings. It can also help to improve circulation and boost energy levels.
- Orange: Orange is a citrus oil that is uplifting and cheerful. It can help improve your mood and increase energy levels.
- Ylang Ylang: This oil is sweet and floral, with a slightly spicy scent. Ylang ylang is known for boosting energy levels and improving mood.
How to Use Essential Oils to Wake Up
There are many ways to use essential oils in the morning. You can put them in an oil diffuser, make an inhaler, or add them to your carrier oils for a massage.
One of the simplest and most effective ways is to make a wake-up spray. That way, your wake-up essential oil blend is ready to go when you need it.
Just spray the oils into the air, and be prepared to feel invigorated.
How to Make a Wake Up Spray
- Add all ingredients to a glass spray bottle and shake well.
- Spray into the air as needed.
More Recipes to Wake You Up
Essential Oil Room Spray for Focus
Rosemary is one of the most popular essential oils for focus. It's also great for mental clarity and alertness. If you're looking for an oil to help you wake up in the morning, rosemary is a good choice.
To make a wake-up spray that will help you focus with rosemary, you'll need:
- 20 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops Lemon essential oil
- 10 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 2 tablespoons witch hazel
- Distilled water
- Empty spray bottle
Add 20 drops of rosemary essential oil, 10 drops of lemon essential oil, and ten drops of peppermint essential oil to your empty spray bottle. Add the witch hazel and fill the rest of the way with distilled water.
Wake Up Face Spray
This wake-up face spray is perfect for those mornings when you need an extra boost. Citrus is invigorating and refreshing, and it will help you wake up feeling ready to take on the day.
- 15 drops Sweet Orange essential oil
- Filtered water
Add the essential oils to a glass spray bottle and fill the rest of the way with filtered water. Shake well and spray onto your face as needed. (Make sure you close your eyes when using this face mist and avoid spraying citrus essential oils - or any other oils - in the eye area.)
Do you use essential oils to wake up in the morning? What are your favorite oils to use? Share in the comments below!