This post is brought to you by Beyond Meat. All opinions are my own.
I’m always up for a good challenge. So when Beyond Meat asked me if I would like to participate in their Future of Protein blind test for my family I figured why not.
You may remember Beyond Meat from this post. In case you missed it, let me bring you up to speed.
Beyond Meat is on a mission to create The Future of Protein. They make chicken strips, chicken tenders, meatballs, burgers and beef crumbles made strictly from plants. They are non-GMO, soy free and gluten free, and designed to allow families to eat what they love while staying plant based.
Although I’m not vegan or even vegetarian, I try to eat plant-based several days a week. The trend of plant protein consumption is rising. Elite athletes like Eric Bledsoe (Point Guard for the Phoenix Suns) and April Ross (Olympic Silver Medalist in Beach Volleyball) have joined as early adopters in support of the brand. Ethan Brown, Beyond Meat CEO, explains it best:
What I love about the campaign is that our athlete partners intuitively understand the benefits of plant-based proteins and so effectively communicate — by example — these benefits to families and children.”
The goal of the campaign is to counter misconceptions that plant protein requires a sacrifice in taste or is nutritionally inferior.
I knew from my prior post that Beyond Meat was good. But good doesn’t mean that I had confidence that I could get even one of my crazy-picky kids to even try it. I decided to try the meatballs and make one of my middle son’s favorite dishes: Spaghetti & Meatballs.
Christian, my resident spaghetti, and meatball lover, was up first to try it.
( Skye was there too but she was having a toddler moment and refused to sit at the table long enough for me to get a photo.) I was a little nervous that he wouldn’t even test it, but as you can see he didn’t even seem to miss the meat. Score!
Want to join in on the fun?
Beyond Meat is inviting you to join in their sweepstakes by repeating the Future of Protein challenge with your family!
Five lucky fans will win prizes ranging from Le Creuset cookware, three months of Chef’d meal delivery, a $500 Visa Gift Card and a chance to watch their athletes in action!
Here is how you participate:
- Buy discounted Beyond Meat product with this coupon link:
- Go all Sneaky Chef and secretly substitute a Beyond Meat product in a family favorite meal. You can download the Beyond Meat guide for more info and some suggested recipes.
- After the meal, reveal to them that what they just ate was made from plants.
- Post your photos and recap of the dinner to Instagram or Twitter by 11 PM EST on 11/31 with the tag @BeyondMeat #FutureofProtein – this automatically enters you in the sweepstakes.
- 1 bag Beyond Beef Meatballs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 28 oz Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces Quinoa Spaghetti
- Spray a skillet with oil and add meatballs. Cook over medium heat until brown, about 3 - 5 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Spray a saucepan with oil and add onion. Cook for 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add meatballs, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sea salt and black pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes, until the flavors combine.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain pasta. Transfer to serving plates and spoon spaghetti and meatballs on top.