These clean eating quinoa patties are so healthy and taste delicious! With quinoa, veggies, chia seeds and sunflower seeds, your body will thank you!
I have a confession. I haven’t been doing very well in the first month of the year with my plans to get fit and really work the kinks out of my diet. You’d think running a website like this would keep me on track at all times, wouldn’t you?
Not so much.
So forgive me if I’m feeling a bit virtuous with these super clean quinoa patties! Not only are they gluten free but they are also suitable for those following eating plans like Eat to Live. I was able to cook them with almost no oil thanks to my Griddler. (I actually could have probably skipped the spray but I was worried they would stick and I wouldn’t get a picture.)
Now a lot of times when I’ve tried to do uber-healthy quinoa patties and burgers, I’ve felt like the recipes were a bit of a sacrifice. That isn’t the case here. Now I’m not saying these are up to the standard of these egg filled, cheese filled quinoa patties, but I will have to say that they were delicious.
I really didn’t realize how healthy they were until I did the nutritional analysis, which pointed out these good points:
Low in saturated fat
Very low in cholesterol
High in dietary fiber
High in manganese
High in magnesium
High in phosphorus
Very high in vitamin A
High in vitamin C
Since I know I will get emails about this if I don’t put it out there, the sauce on the side is a mixture of an organic tofu mayo (low oil), ketchup and Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. You could easily use plain yogurt (Greek or vegan Greek-style would be best) or Mayo in place of the tofu mayo.
Recipe inspired by Clean Eating Magazine
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- Olive oil spray
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Organic Chia Seeds mixed with ½ cup water
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon Pure Himalayan Salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Olive oil spray
- Combine chia seeds with water and stir well. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet to medium, and spray with olive oil. Add quinoa and toast for about four minutes, stirring and shaking frequently.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil spray to medium high. Add onion and cook for eight minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute longer. Add quinoa, bouillon cube and water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for five minutes. Allow to cool slightly before proceeding.
- In a large bowl combine carrot, bell pepper, sunflower seeds, parsley, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Add quinoa mixture and chia seed mixture and stir to combine.
- Using a ¼ cup measure, measure out patties. Place on a parchment lined dish and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Spray a large pan with olive oil and heat to medium low. (Or, use a griddle or griddler) Cook for about 8 minutes per side, or until brown.