Hello everyone! I am Sarah, writing to you from waaaaaay up in Canada, where I keep a family food blog (Cooking for) Kiwi & Bean. I’m a busy lawyer, wife to an even busier lawyer (aka “Kiwi”) and a mom of two young kiddos (aka “Bean” and “Beansprout”), so the Kiwi & Bean kitchen is all about quick, simple, whole-food meals that our entire family can share and enjoy.
Quinoa is definitely a staple in our house, because it cooks up in a jiffy, is super versatile, and is beloved by all of us. This “Quinoa Fried Rice” dish that I’m sharing with you today is one of our all-time favourite ways to cook with quinoa. It’s my go-to dinner for those pesky nights when the Bean is “huuuuuuuungry, Mama!!!!” and I’m out of time and groceries. I could pick up the phone and order take-out, but in the time it takes to scan the menu and dial the number, I can whip up this healthy, tasty, kid-friendly, quinoa-fied “fried rice”.
The recipe calls for frozen mixed veg, which are THE ultimate behind-saver on a busy night, but you can easily substitute fresh diced veggies if that’s your preference. I’ve kept it light on the soy sauce so that the dish is suitable for your youngest diners; adult palates might prefer it with a drizzle of extra soy sauce and a squirt of sriracha or hot sauce. For the gluten-free folk out there, wheat-free tamari (check the label!) is a perfect stand-in for soy sauce.
And finally, if you are cooking for a meat-loving creature (like my Kiwi, bless him), cooked shrimp or chicken would be a great stir-in.
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (or rice)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil or other cooking oil
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- A small (2 inch approx) chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (see note)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium-sized frying pan or skillet set over medium-high heat. When the oil starts to shimmer, add the green onion and grated ginger and stir until they become fragrant, about one minute. (If you are using fresh vegetables, add them now, and sauté until tender-crisp.)
- Add the quinoa and mixed vegetables and cook, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the pan, for a few minutes, or until vegetables and quinoa are warmed through.
- Move quinoa mixture to one side of the pan, add remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to the other half, and break the eggs over the oil. Beat the eggs gently with a fork while they cook through, and then stir the cooked egg into the quinoa mixture. (You are essentially making chunky scrambled eggs, and then stirring them into the quinoa.)
- Stir in the soy sauce/tamari and sesame oil and remove from the heat.
- Season to taste, and serve immediately. Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave with a few drops of water.
For more quick, simple, whole-food family meal ideas from the Kiwi & Bean kitchen, hop on over to the blog, or follow our adventures on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.
Sarah is a food-loving lawyer, wife and mom of 2 who documents her family-feeding adventures at (Cooking for) Kiwi & Bean. She shares “in the door” recipes that go from fridge to table within minutes, ideas for healthy toddler-proof baking projects, and tips and tricks for meal planning, shopping and keeping your kitchen sanity. She also Tweets, Facebooks, Pins, Instagrams and watches way too much HGTV.