This Arugula, Avocado & Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Panini is a great weekend lunch or easy weeknight meal! Gluten Free & Vegetarian.
I’ve said before that I would eat sandwiches every day if my husband would go for it.
Good for me or not, I love bread.
Going gluten free hasn’t been easy, because though there are many good gluten free bread options, it’s often not the same. Rather than be deterred by this, it has actually motivated me to put more energy into my sandwich fillings. Gone are the days of scouting out the perfect bread from my local organic bakery. Now it’s all about the fillings.
This sandwich is a favorite of mine and one I've make time and again.
Since avocado pesto doesn't last long in the fridge, I like to make this sandwich for lunch and use the leftover pesto on pasta for dinner!
What's your favorite sandwich?
Arugula, Avocado & Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Panini
- 1 avocado pitted
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 8 slices gluten free bread or whole wheat
- 4 ounces harvarti cheese or Daiya Harvarti
- In a blender or food processor combine avocado, sun dried tomatoes, basil, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- In a small bowl combine arugula, olive oil and vinegar. Toss until well combined.
- Heat panini press or grill pan to medium heat. Assemble sandwiches by spreading pesto on bread. Add arugula and cheese to one slice and top with another slice, pesto side down. Cook on the press until brown, about 6 minutes. Cut in half and serve warm.
That does look rather a tasty bite, ideal for my Saturday snack!
This was so yummy! We put ours on ciabatta bread just because I like the texture more and it totally hit the spot! I also dipped a few bites in balsamic vinegar and that was delicious too! Thanks for this recipe!