I have been talking a lot over at Mama Balance about how I’ve made a commitment with myself to focus on my own health and stop using the “I don’t have time to take care of myself and exercise” excuse all the time.
I’m about a week and a half into it, and I have to say it is going really well. I’ve been walking 10,000 steps a day, which is about 6,000 more than I get naturally. Just taking the time to get outside in the fresh spring air has done wonders for me both physically and mentally. I’m feeling fitter already.
I’ve also done a great job at cleaning up my diet.
It’s not that I ever ate really bad. I just fell into the trap of grabbing easy convenience food because after taking care of four other people who almost never agree on a meal, I was too tired to do anything else. Veggies (other than the limited ones the boys eat) were taking a back seat because chopping felt like too much work.
Lately, I’ve been forcing myself to plan my meals ahead of time and just this focus has brought everything back into line.
This Avocado Lime Quinoa Salsa is an amazing addition to my menu.
It’s also great over eggs and on a variation of these easy veggie wraps. (That I eat at least three times a week.)
Of course, I’m sure it would be sensational with chips, but I have thus far used self control and refrained from trying it. (Just because chips are a weak spot for me and I don’t trust myself to stop at a reasonable portion.)
The biggest thing I’ve learned is what a difference making myself a priority and taking the time to plan makes.
What’s made a difference in your health?
Avocado Lime Quinoa Salsa
- 1 lb plum tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 medium red onion chopped fine
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 2 jalapeño seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- Combine tomatoes, quinoa, red onion, avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and olive oil in a bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt, cumin, paprika and chipotle chile powder and stir gently.