If you are looking for a fabulous way to liven up most any dish, look no further than this homemade BBQ seasoning. Whether you are spicing up some grilled chicken, making a rib rub, or adding flavor to baked beans, this easy-to-follow recipe for homemade BBQ seasoning will have your meals tasting even yummier! With its sweet and savory taste and smoky aroma, it doesn’t get much better than making your own signature DIY BBQ rub from the comfort of your home. Let's get started!
Are you ready to take your meals from the ordinary to the extraordinary? Then look no further than creating a custom-made BBQ seasoning mix!
With just a few pantry staples, you can craft a unique blend of flavors that will have mouths watering as soon as they catch the aroma of what’s cooking. Don’t be intimidated – making homemade BBQ rub isn’t rocket science!
In fact, it is easy and economical, plus you get fun, creative liberty with whatever ingredients and proportions appeal to you.
Best of all this homemade BBQ spic blend is so versatile. You can use it to make your own rubs for ribs, pork, chicken, or beef.
Follow this guide for making delicious all-natural bbq seasoning at home and then fire up your grill, griddle, or smoker and let the flavor of this spice blend work its magic.
- Smoked Paprika: Smoked paprika, also called pimenton, is a type of paprika that has been smoked over oak. It adds an incredible smoky flavor and aroma to BBQ seasoning mix.
- Garlic Powder: A pungent seasoning made from garlic that packs a punch!
- Sea Salt: Sea salt gives a nice salty taste to the mix.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar is used to add sweetness and depth of flavor to the BBQ seasoning blend.
- Onion Powder: Onion powder helps bring out the other flavors in this recipe with its mild oniony taste.
- Chili Powder: Chili powder adds a nice kick and warmth.
- Ground Mustard Seed: This mustard seed powder adds a nice subtle flavor.
- Cayenne Pepper: A spicy and flavorful condiment, cayenne pepper helps to round out the flavors of this blend. This blend is not especially spicy, so feel free to increase it according to your personal preference. You could use black pepper if you prefer for less heat.
Step by Step
First, start by mixing together the following dry ingredients in a small bowl: paprika, garlic powder, salt, brown sugar, onion powder, chili powder, mustard and cayenne.
Mix everything together and store it in an airtight container at room temperature until you are ready to use.
Tips & Tricks
- Feel free to adjust the seasoning blend to make it as sweet or spicy as you like!
- For a milder blend, reduce or omit the cayenne pepper. For a spicier blend, increase the amount of cayenne pepper in the mix.
- You can also add other dried herbs and spices to your BBQ seasoning mix for more flavors. Try adding some oregano, parsley, thyme or cumin for different flavor profiles.
This rub recipe is fabulous on chicken, and I love to use it to make Ninja Foodi Chicken Breast and chicken wings. It is great on burgers, brisket, steak, and other beef.
I have also used it on roasted and grilled vegetables, in marinades, or to make homemade BBQ sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
What's the difference between BBQ seasoning and BBQ rub?
BBQ seasoning and rubs are basically interchangeable terms. Both refer to a combination of spices used for flavoring grilled meats and dishes.
How much seasoning should I use?
That will depend on the size of your dish and how spicy you like it. As a general guideline, start with 1-2 tablespoons of seasoning for every pound of meat or vegetables. Taste test and adjust if needed. Enjoy!
Can I make thie BBQ seasoning keto?
Yes, to make this recipe keto, just use a sugar alternative such as Swerve brown sugar in place of the brown sugar. If you track macros closely, make sure to take the carbohydrates in the seasoning blend into account - they can add up!
Leftover homemade BBQ seasoning can be kept in a sealed container in the pantry for up to two months. I like to store it in a small mason jar.
Alternatively, you can freeze it for up to one year.
You May Also Like
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken is an easy-to-make family favorite.
- Cheesy Bacon BBQ Chicken is simple enough for a weeknight, but delicious enough for entertaining.
- Ninja Foodi Chicken Breast is quick to make and quick to disappear! This recipe is perfect for meal prep.
- Once you give these Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches a try, they are sure to make a regular appearance in your dinnertime rotation.
Homemade BBQ Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, garlic powder, salt, brown sugar, onion powder, chili powder, ground mustard, and cayenne pepper.
- Store in a sealed container at room temperature.