Brats are always a good thing, but this Brat Sauce makes them irresistible! It is the perfect way to turn your grill out into something special. This recipe isn't a finicky one, so feel free to adjust the flavors to your liking. It makes much more mustard sauce than you'll need for a small gathering, and that is not by accident. I love this sauce with other grilled meats and it fabulous over roasted vegetables.
Step Up Your Grill Out Game with This Brat Sauce!
Who else gets excited by grilling season?
Ok, truth be told I live in Florida. So grilling season it pretty much every day of the year except for the random two weeks scattered throughout the winter that it actually gets too cold.
But still, there is something about the school year being over that has me looking forward to lazy afternoons with the kids by the pool.
Anyone who knows me knows that one of my favorite things in the world is sauces.
So when the men in the family demand Brats, I am all about coming up with the tastiest sauce to serve them with.
This Smoky Mustard Sauce for Brats is so easy to make and really elevates your grill out. I love that it adds a touch of heat without being too hot for the kids. This sauce is unbelievably good and you will find yourself wanting to put it on everything. Feel free to adjust the sweetness and heat to your personal taste - I don't have much of a sweet tooth but one of my boys likes it on the sweeter side.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator. When entertaining, I like to make it a day ahead of time to allow the flavors to combine.
Brats are fabulous on hot dog buns with a sauce like this bratwurst sauce or mustard and ketchup. Top it off with relish or sauerkraut.
Variations for This Recipe:
- Any sweetener can be used in place of the honey.
- Gluten-free tamari or Bragg's liquid aminos can be used in place of coconut aminos.
- Use Dijon or Spicy Brown mustard in place of the yellow mustard.
- Add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of Sriracha.
- Add 1 teaspoon celery seed.
If You Like This Bratwurst Sauce You May Also Like:
Brat Sauce with Mustard
It is fabulous with Brats, but you are going to want to put this flavorful sauce on everything! It is fantastic paired with grilled or roasted vegetables and also drizzled over chicken.
- In a small saucepan, combine mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, chili powder smoked paprika, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook over medium low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add coconut aminos, coconut oil and liquid smoke. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from stove. Chill until ready to serve.