As a busy mom of three, I can’t tell you how many times smoothies have saved me. Running out the door in the morning with no time for breakfast? Smoothies all around.
Feeling run down when the baby is up every hour on the hour? Green smoothie to the rescue.
Whether for breakfast, snacks or even lunch, I am so happy to have a wide variety of smoothie and juice recipes to rely on.
While I adore green smoothies and juice, the boys are not so enthusiastic. In fact, I’m pretty sure I could give them a green milk shake and they would refuse it…just because it is green. (Their refusal of all things green is a major mom fail on my part. Lucky for me Skye already loves broccoli so there is hope for her with green smoothies.)
With the boys I stick to fruit based smoothies and try to pump up the nutrition with great add ins like quinoa and flax.
This is one of their favorites and I have to day that I agree. They love the taste and I love that it is an easy way to get some quality nutrition in them.
Cherry Banana Quinoa Smoothie
- ¼ cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup tart cherry juice
- ½ cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 banana peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon organic ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup ice
- In a blender combine quinoa flakes, cherry juice, almond milk, banana, flax and vanilla extract. Process until smooth. Add in ice and process for another minute. Transfer to a glass and serve immediately.
Recipe NotesServings 1, Calories 389, Fat 5.8g, Carbohydrates 75.9g, Protein 7.1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 119mg, Fiber 8.6g, Sugars 44.5g (Note: This is one adult size serving. For the boys I would divide it between them.)