This Quinoa Smoothie with Coffee is the perfect healthy way to start the day! With coffee, quinoa flakes, ground flax, cocoa powder and banana, your energy levels will soar. This Vegan Quinoa Smoothie is perfect for those mornings where time is tight. It is one of the best healthy ways to start the day that I have found!
I have tried for years to make smoothies a regular part of my diet because it is such an easy way to pack in the nutrition!
It has only been in the last nine months that I’ve done this consistently.
Life has been crazy, and more than a little difficult at times. Smoothies are the perfect meal to help me with my weight loss goals. (The struggle is real.) They help keep me away from the cracker box when I’ve got a million things to do and am hangry.
(Sadly, this is all too often. I get busy and forget to eat and wind up crazy hungry. I have a big weakness for carbs with empty calories when I am stressed.)
Like a lot of you, I am a huge fan of green smoothies that make the rest of my family run for cover.
(I’ve been meaning to try a green smoothie bowl, and this one looks amazing!)
As much as I love green smoothies, there are days when I crave something different.
Something like this Quinoa Smoothie with Coffee.
If I am having a smoothie first thing in the morning, this vegan quinoa smoothie is my go-to recipe.
It is indulgent enough to keep me from running to that bag of chocolate covered almonds in the fridge. Plus this Quinoa Smoothie is perfect for those busy mornings when there isn’t enough time for both coffee and breakfast. (And with school back in soon, those mornings are going to come more often.)
The idea of putting quinoa in your smoothie may seem strange to you – but stick with me on this one.
People have been putting oatmeal in smoothies for years. Quinoa is a great alternative for those who are so gluten-sensitive that they have to avoid oats, or those looking to add a complete source of protein to their smoothie.
If you use cooked quinoa rather than quinoa flakes, remember to not cook it in broth. Because that would be….just, gross. Quinoa cooked in water or juice is a much better alternative.
Frequently Asked Questions for this Vegan Quinoa Smoothie:
Can You Really Put Quinoa in a Smoothie? Won’t it Ruin the Flavor?
Actually, quinoa by itself has very little flavor, so chances are you won’t even notice it.
Why Would You Put Quinoa in a Smoothie?
The primary reason to put quinoa in a smoothie is to add nutrition. It is an excellent whole food alternative to using protein powders. (Which are sometimes highly processed and can contain GMO ingredients.)
What is the Difference Between Quinoa and Quinoa Flakes?
Quinoa Flakes are pressed quinoa. It is like the difference between whole oats and oatmeal. While quinoa is excellent on its own, quinoa flakes have a very light texture to them and get mushy easily. I personally don’t care for quinoa flakes other than to use in place of breading, in smoothies and in other recipes. They disappear in smoothies much easier than quinoa. FYI, quinoa flakes make a great baby food!
Is it Ok to Eat Raw Quinoa?
The only way I would recommend eating raw quinoa is if you soaked it and sprouted it first. If you don’t wish to cook quinoa in traditional methods, you can also bake it or pop it.
Tools for Making a Quinoa Smoothie Recipe
- A high-speed blender is recommended to make this quinoa smoothie. This is less important if you are using quinoa flakes, which blend easily into a smoothie. A low powered blender will have a difficult time getting cooked quinoa blended. (i.e., you may end up needing to chew your smoothie.)
Tips for Making a Raw Quinoa Smoothie Recipe
If you want to use raw quinoa in your smoothie, I would recommend sprouting it first.
- Rinse the quinoa well to remove the saponin.
- Place in a jar and cover with water. Top with a sprouting lid.
- Soak for 6 hours and then drain.
- Rinse well and drain. Tilt the jar over a bowl so that all of the water can run out.
- Every six hours, drain the water and rinse.
- Sprouts should form in two to three days.
You can read more about sprouting quinoa here.
Vegan Quinoa Smoothie
This Quinoa Smoothie with Coffee is the perfect healthy way to start the day! With coffee, quinoa flakes, ground flax, cocoa powder and banana, your energy levels will soar. This Vegan Quinoa Smoothie is perfect for those mornings where time is tight.
- 1 ½ cups brewed coffee cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/3 cup Quinoa Flakes or cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds or chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 frozen banana chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoons Swerve to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Add ice as desired.
Variations for this Quinoa Smoothie Recipe
- Omit the coffee and add your favorite fruit. Great options include strawberries, blueberries or pineapple. You may want to add in additional almond milk or water to achieve the desired texture.
- Increase the chocolate factor by adding an additional tablespoon or two of cocoa powder.
- I sometimes add a chocolate greens powder to this smoothie. Barlean's is my go-to. When I do this I omit the cocoa powder.