This Quinoa Smoothie with Coffee is the perfect healthy way to start the day! With coffee, quinoa flakes, ground flax, cocoa powder and banana, your energy levels will soar. Perfect for busy mornings, this recipe is a cinch to throw together - and you can even mix the dry ingredients the night before.
Quinoa Smoothie Backstory
I have tried for years to make smoothies a regular part of my diet because it is such an easy way to pack in the nutrition!
It has only been in the last nine months that I've done this consistently.
Life has been crazy, and more than a little difficult at times.
Smoothies are the perfect meal to help me with my weight loss goals. (The struggle is real.) They help keep me away from the cracker box when I've got a million things to do and am hangry.
(Sadly, this is all too often. I get busy and forget to eat and wind up crazy hungry. I have a big weakness for carbs with empty calories when I am stressed.)
Like a lot of you, I am a huge fan of green smoothies that make the rest of my family run for cover.
(I've been meaning to try a green smoothie bowl, and this one looks amazing!)
As much as I love green smoothies, there are days when I crave something different.
Something like this Quinoa Smoothie with Coffee.
If I am having a smoothie first thing in the morning, this is my go-to recipe.
It is indulgent enough to keep me from running to that bag of chocolate covered almonds in the fridge. Plus this vegan smoothie is perfect for those busy mornings when there isn't enough time for both coffee and breakfast.
The idea of putting quinoa in your smoothie may seem strange to you - but stick with me on this one.
People have been putting oatmeal in smoothies for years. This is a great alternative for those who are so gluten-sensitive that they have to avoid oats, or those looking to add a complete source of plant-based protein.
If you use cooked quinoa rather than flakes, remember to not cook it in broth. Because that would be....just, gross. Instead, water or juice is a much better alternative here.
How to Make a Quinoa Smoothie Recipe:
- Gather Your Ingredients - You will need brewed coffee, almond milk, a frozen banana, quinoa flakes, ground flax seeds, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and the sweetener of your choosing.
2. Place them in your blender!
Frequently Asked Questions for this Quinoa Smoothie Recipe:
Actually, quinoa by itself has very little flavor, so chances are you won't even notice it.
The primary reason is to add nutrition. It is an excellent whole food alternative to using protein powders. (Which are sometimes highly processed and can contain GMO ingredients.) This is a great way to make a drink that will keep you fueled until lunch.
Quinoa Flakes are pressed quinoa. It is like the difference between whole oats and oatmeal. While quinoa is excellent on its own, the flakes have a very light texture to them and get mushy easily. I personally don't care for flakes other than to use in place of breading, in smoothies and in other recipes. They disappear in smoothies so well! FYI, flakes make a great baby food!
The only way I would recommend eating it raw is if you soaked it and sprouted it first. If you don't wish to cook it in traditional methods, you can also bake it or pop it.
Tools for Making a Quinoa Smoothie Recipe
The following are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links I make a small commission at no additional charge to you.
- A high-speed blender is recommended to make this quinoa smoothie. This is less important if you are using quinoa flakes, which blend easily into a smoothie. A low powered blender will have a difficult time getting cooked quinoa blended. (i.e., you may end up needing to chew your smoothie.)
Tips for Making a Raw Quinoa Smoothie Recipe:
I recommend sprouting it first.
- Rinse well to remove the saponin.
- Place in a jar and cover with water. Top with a sprouting lid.
- Soak for 6 hours and then drain.
- Rinse well and drain. Tilt the jar over a bowl so that all of the water can run out.
- Every six hours, drain the water and rinse.
- Sprouts should form in two to three days.
You can read more about sprouting quinoa here.
Variations for this Recipe:
- Omit the coffee and add your favorite fruit. Great options include strawberries, blueberries or pineapple. You may want to add in additional almond milk or water to achieve the desired texture.
- Increase the chocolate factor by adding an additional tablespoon or two of cocoa powder.
- I sometimes add a chocolate greens powder to this smoothie. Barlean's is my go-to. When I do this I omit the cocoa powder.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- How to Make Quinoa
- Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes
- How to Cook Quinoa in a Rice Cooker
- Iced Mocha Latte
- Detox Green Monster Smoothie from Ambitious Kitchen
Quinoa Smoothie Recipe
Quinoa Smoothie with Coffee
- 1 ½ cups brewed coffee cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- ⅓ cup Quinoa Flakes or cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds or chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 frozen banana chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoons Swerve to taste
- Combine coffee, almond milk, quinoa flakes, flax seeds, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon banana, and Swerve in a in a blender.
- Process until smooth. Add ice as desired.