My life is pretty crazy these days.
I’m trying to get packed for our trip, figure out how to entertain my three angels for 18 hours in the car, help my husband with his current project AND think about what we are doing for homeschooling this year.
Baby girl is on a nap-strike and the boys have suddenly decided that they don’t want to go swimming every day. This means they act like toddlers on Pixy Stix if I don’t get creative with other activities to burn off their little boy energy. And of course it’s about a million degrees outside (really) so it can’t be something simple like “go play in the yard.”
All this means that I don’t have a ton of time in the kitchen.
I have developed a huge need to know that by lunch time dinner is done, too. Because let me tell you, things get a little out of hand around here in the late afternoon.
I tell you all of this so you will be more understanding with all of the new casserole recipes I will be sharing. It appears that I’m casserole obsessed right now.
There are worse things, right?
This Chipotle Quinoa Mac n Cheese is delicious way to make dinner easy.
If you are gluten free and need to make breadcrumbs it’s really easy! Just preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Chop up leftover bread in your food processor and spread it in a think layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn the oven off and let sit for 30 minutes or so. Voila! You’ve got great breadcrumbs without any extra oil! I do this just before my bread goes stale and then store the breadcrumbs in the freezer so I have them on hand whenever I need it.
Chipotle Quinoa Mac & Cheese
- Olive oil spray
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 red or orange bell pepper chopped fine
- 2 chipotle chiles minced + 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons quinoa flour
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese or Daiya shreds
- 1 cup ricotta cheese or vegan ricotta
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 ounce grated fresh Parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan
- 1 egg beaten (optional)
- 3 tablespoons gluten free breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with olive oil.
- Spray a large Dutch oven with olive oil and heat to medium high. Add onion and red pepper and cook for 8 minutes. Add minced chiles and garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Sprinkle with quinoa flour and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes then add in adobo sauce, quinoa, cheddar, ricotta, milk, parmesan and egg. Stir to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish and top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
Recipe NotesServings 8, Calories 356, Fat 15.3g, Carbohydrates 35.3g, Protein 19.2g, Cholesterol 64mg, Sodium 409mg, Fiber 2.9g, Sugars 5.4g