This Cream of Broccoli Quinoa Soup is an amazing vegan quinoa soup recipe that will leave you satisfied. Perfect for the cooler weather!
I'm excited to have Joanna from GreenReset.com here with us today! Today she is sharing a simple Cream of Broccoli Quinoa Soup. I think you will agree with me that it looks amazing and is one of those dishes you simply must try. If you are looking for more healthy soup recipes or some amazing ideas for smoothies, make sure you stop by her website.
I've been following Wendy's blog for quite a while, and I noticed that she rarely posts soup recipes. Soups, next to green smoothies, are my favorite meals to prepare; therefore, it surprises me when people tell me they never (or rarely) make soup. Soups are so easy to make and are very forgiving - even for inexperienced cooks, or people like myself - who never follow a recipe to the tee, always experimenting and trying something new.
There are so many varieties and possibilities. I probably make soup 2-3 times per week and every time it's something different. Even during the hot summer months, there are soups that are just excellent when served chilled or lukewarm, that are refreshing and satisfying.
However, I know many people who are intimidated by the idea of making soup. For them, it's akin to practicing alchemy. It just isn’t so, though. There is nothing complicated or mysterious about making a soup. Think of it as a bunch of ingredients thrown together in a pot and cooked through. Nothing to be intimidated by.
So here is a super-easy recipe for you to try. This soup can literally be prepared in under 30 minutes from start to finish.
It's a variation on the classic cream of broccoli recipe that is high in nutrients, low in fat, and cholesterol free. It is thickened by the cooked, pureed potato, but if I want to add more creamy texture, I use some cashew cream (see instructions below).
I always keep a bag or two of frozen broccoli in my freezer, so I can make this soup even at the last minute when hunger strikes.
Cream of Broccoli Quinoa Soup
- 4 cups broccoli fresh or frozen
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium potato peeled, cut into one inch pieces
- 2 ounces cashews raw, optional
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- nutmeg to taste optional
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- If using fresh broccoli, remove and discard tough lower stalk, and peel remaining stalk. Chop stalk and florets into small pieces.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and add onion. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender.
- Add water or vegetable stock, broccoli, potato, and some salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and save a few florets for garnish. Purée with a hand-held blender until smooth. Or, working in batches, transfer to a standing blender to puree. Never fill your blender more than ½ full. Also, remove the center cup on the two-part lid and cover the opening with a kitchen towel to allow hot air to escape and prevent pressure from building up. Hold the lid down tightly with a towel. Return the soup to the pot and season to taste.
- To make cashew cream (optional step), blend 2 ounces of raw cashews with about ½ cup water in high-powered blender until very smooth, and pour into the soup. Bring to boil.
- To serve, put a few tablespoons of quinoa into each serving bowl and pour the soup over. Garnish with broccoli florets or fresh dill or parsley. This recipe serves 2-4, depending on the portion size (side dish versus main dish).
About the author: Joanna is a green smoothie enthusiast and the founder of GreenReset.com website, dedicated to spreading the message about how healthy and compassionate food choices can help heal our body and the planet. For more tasty recipes of healthy soups, as well as green smoothies, juices, salads, desserts and other dishes, visit GreenReset.com, follow her on Facebook.com.