If your family loves Mexican night as much as mine, they’re going to go crazy for these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos! The electric pressure cooker gives you tender, juicy, flavorful shredded chicken that’s ready in about half an hour. And while the chicken cooks, you can prep all your favorite taco toppings. (Because let’s be honest, the toppings are half the fun!) I like making this recipe with chicken breast, but you could just as easily use chicken thighs.
We take Mexican night very seriously in our household. The flavors are always on point, and each person can choose their toppings to really make the meal their own.
When it comes to getting dinner on the table quickly, Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are one of my staples! The electric pressure cooker means I can cook a big batch of chicken in about half an hour. How great is that?
Plus, while the chicken is cooking, I can gather the taco shells or tortillas, toppings, sauces, and anything else we need. Once the chicken is ready, I shred it with my stand mixer, and I’m ready to serve!
The Instant Pot is pure magic when it comes to making tender, juicy, flavorful chicken in record time.
Once you see how easy it is to make delicious Chicken Tacos with the Instant Pot, I know it will become one of your favorite dinners!
Ingredients for Making Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Chicken — I like to use boneless chicken breasts when I make Chicken Tacos in the Instant Pot, but you could also use thighs if you prefer. You’ll need 2½ pounds total.
- Butter — I prefer to start with unsalted so I can control the seasoning and flavor.
- Taco seasoning — Feel free to use a store-bought brand or make your own with chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Here is my recipe for homemade taco seasoning.
- Tomato paste — I like to get the type that comes in a tube so it’s easier to preserve any extra.
- Garlic — Freshly minced garlic will give you the best flavor, but the pre-minced kind that comes in a jar will also work.
- Chicken broth — Store-bought works fine, or you can make your own!
Tips & Tricks
- Always scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot after simmering the butter, seasoning, tomato paste, and garlic. It adds flavor and helps you avoid the dreaded “burn” message.
- For the most tender, easy-to-shred chicken, let the pressure completely release naturally.
- If you prefer to make your own taco seasoning for Shredded Chicken Tacos in the Instant Pot, check out this recipe you can customize to your own tastes!
- Swap out the cubed chicken breast for Instant Pot Shredded Chicken in these Chicken Quesadillas!
- Slow Cooker Refried Bean Dip is an easy, healthier alternative to traditional refried beans.
- Throw some Pulled Chicken on top of this Quinoa Taco Salad Bowl for a delicious and nutritious meal.
- Mix things up and make enchiladas or burritos. Try this recipe for homemade enchiladas.
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice is a great side to serve with tacos.
Toppings to Use With Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Tortillas or hard taco shells
- Avocado or guacamole
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Sliced jalapeños
- Black olives
- Chopped cilantro
- Fajita vegetables
- Hot sauce
- Lime Juice
Frequently Asked Quesions
At High pressure, it will take 8-10 minutes to cook Taco Chicken in the Instant Pot. I always recommend letting the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes afterward, which will give you more tender chicken than if you did a quick release right away.
Crockpots are a great way to make shredded chicken if you don’t mind it taking a few hours. Making Instant Pot Taco Chicken is going to be much faster whereas a slow cooker takes more time but less hands-on prep. Check out my Crockpot Salsa Chicken recipe to learn more!
To dial up the heat, feel free to add some chili powder or cayenne with the rest of the seasoning before cooking the chicken. You could also top your Instant Pot Pulled Chicken Tacos with hot sauce or sliced jalapeños before serving!
Absolutely! Everything about the prep and cook times will remain the same; all you have to do is swap out the ingredients.
The Instant Pot is a great tool for safely cooking frozen chicken breast or thighs. Just increase the cooking time to 10 minutes and keep in mind that it will take a little longer to come up to pressure
Yes! Another benefit of pressure cooking is that you don’t need to cook your food in a single layer. Just make sure you don’t stack the chicken higher than the max fill line in the pot.
Tools Needed to Make Instant Pot Taco Chicken
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker
- Stand mixer or two forks (for shredding)
Leftovers from this Instant Pot Chicken Taco recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for up to four days.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Set your Instant Pot to simmer on high.
Once preheated, add the butter and heat until melted.
Add the taco seasoning, tomato paste, and garlic, then stir for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add the broth, scraping up any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Add the chicken, then close the lid.
Set the Instant Pot valve to sealing, then set to manual high pressure for 8 minutes.
When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release.
Shred the chicken with two forks or a stand mixer.
How to Double The Recipe
To make double the Instant Pot Chicken for tacos, simply double the ingredients! Just make sure your Instant Pot isn’t filled past the max fill line. Aside from that, the process and cooking times will remain exactly the same.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Whether it’s New Year’s Day or you’re just looking for a simple side, Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas are packed with rich flavor and great texture.
- Caramelized Onion Risotto is my definition of creamy, cheesy, comfort food perfection!
- When you want perfect quinoa with minimal hassle, Instant Pot Quinoa is a no-fuss way to get it right every time.
- Make sure you check out the rest of my Instant Pot recipes to find your next favorite!
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 ½ pounds of boneless skinless chicken
- For Serving: Tortillas salsa, avocado or guacamole, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream.
- Set your Instant Pot to high saute.
- When it is preheated, add the butter and cook until melted.
- Add the taco seasoning, tomato paste, and garlic, and stir for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Hit cancel.
- Add the broth and scrape up any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken, and close the lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to sealing and set to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then do an instant release.
- Shred the chicken using forks or a stand mixer.