If you love healthy Mexican food as much as I do, you are going to love these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas! With tender chicken marinated in a garlic lime marinade, bell peppers, onions, and tortillas, this recipe is a satisfying meal that is perfect for a clean eating diet.
One area that I have struggled with through the years is healthy dinners.
Historically, I do great with meals for the whole family at breakfast and lunch. By dinner time, everything falls apart.
I get up so early (3:30 am) that by 6 pm I rarely feel motivated to cook a full meal. Because of this, I have a strong preference for meals that can be prepped early in the day (or even on the weekend) and pulled out at dinner time.
This has become more important than ever now that I am feeding two teenage boys.
This kid just turned 13, and he’s already 6 feet tall.
You can imagine what my grocery bill is starting to look like.
It is so easy to have a casserole in the fridge and pull it out!
For years an easy night for me usually meant a super-cheesy pasta dish.
I love casseroles, and will never give up my cheesy pasta, but I’ve been working on easy dishes that are a little bit lighter.
I am happy with salads and bowls, but the boys and hubby want a “meal”
One way that I’ve found that works for our family is sheet pan dinners.
Sometimes the easiest way to do something is also the best. Sheet pan dinners have become one of my favorite ways to cook on busy weeknights. To me, it is a more hands-off approach to one pot cooking. It is the perfect way to make sure a family dinner happens when I’m short on energy. I love that all the ingredients can be prepped in advance, leaving me free to enjoy extra quality time with the family.
These Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are jam-packed with flavor and the perfect balance between healthy and comfort food. You can pile on the cheese and sour cream, or skip it all together. (Or get crazy and make a yogurt sauce.)
I like to make a double batch so that I have chicken and vegetables to throw on a bowl or even a salad later in the week. (This requires two large pans because you don’t want to crowd things.)
It’s like getting dinner and lunch prep done at the same time. #winning
Next time you know you need a quick and easy meal that the whole family will approve of, give these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas a try!
Frequently Asked Questions for Making Fajitas:
What Goes in Chicken Fajitas?
Chicken Fajitas have:
- Assorted Toppings: Cheese, Sour Cream, Cilantro, Avocado, Lime Juice
How Do I Season Chicken for Fajitas?
There are several ways that you can choose to season chicken for fajitas.
1. I’ve used a homemade marinade that uses a Southwestern seasoning blend. This gives you all the benefits of the taste of a homemade marinade without having to mix up a custom spice blend.
2. You can purchase a packet of Fajita seasoning.
3. You can make a marinade with a custom fajita seasoning blend. Here is a good example.
Are Fajitas Healthy?
Fajitas can undoubtedly be a part of a healthy diet, provided the portion size is sensible. If you are watching calories, you want to pay close attention to the amount of cheese and sour cream you use. Go heavy on the veggies, and keep the chicken to a 4-ounce serving or less. Another option is to skip the tortilla and serve over a bed of greens.
If You Love These Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas You May Also Like:
- Chipotle Quinoa Tacos
- Mexican Style Quinoa
- Baked Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- Beef Taco Recipe
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
Tools to Make Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
If you make this recipe and like it, don’t forget to leave a five star rating!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast cut into strips
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Southwestern seasoning see note
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 bell peppers one each green, red, and yellow, cut into strips
- 3 large onions sliced (or 6 small)
- For serving: tortillas cheddar cheese, sour cream, limes, cilantro, avocado
- Place chicken strips in a shallow dish.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, avocado oil, garlic, and Southwestern seasoning. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the marinade.
- Pour remaining marinade over chicken and marinate 30 minutes to up to 2 hours.
- Place a sheet pan in the oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Carefully remove sheet pan and arrange chicken, onions and peppers, on the sheet pan.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes, brushing halfway through with reserved marinade.
- If You don’t have Southwestern Seasoning, use 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, garlic powder, salt, and paprika. Fajita season or taco seasoning also work.
- I use organic flour tortillas for the family, and gluten free organic corn tortillas for myself.
Variations for Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas:
- Cut a zucchini and yellow squash into matchsticks and toss with a tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Add to the Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas in the last five minutes of cooking.
- For a little more heat, add in 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper to the marinade.
- Serve with Avocado Cream or Bacon Guacamole.
- Instead of serving with cheddar cheese, serve with crumbled quasi fresco or grated Monterey Jack Cheese