This Chicken with Avocado Sauce is exactly what I want at the end of a busy day. It has the best of everything - smoky chicken breasts, and an avocado sauce with onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. You are going to want to make this recipe time and again. (And with just 20 minutes of hands on time, it couldn’t be easier!). This recipe is keto friendly, low-carb, and gluten-free. Make it dairy free by using dairy-free yogurt, mayonnaise or sour cream.
Chicken with Avocado Sauce Backstory
I’ve mentioned before that my Grandmother was diagnosed with diabetes and successfully managed it through lifestyle choices for many years. I remember this so clearly, because when she shared her diagnosis with us, I thought it was a death sentence.
I was terrified.
Instead, the next time I visited her, she was thinner than I ever remembered and seemed a bit more vibrant.
I watched her diligence at sticking to her "new plan" through the years and learned a very valuable lesson - our lifestyle choices can make a tremendous difference in our lifespan.
Her experience has lead me to get proactive when it comes to managing my own health.
This is particularly the case as I get older.
Everyone is different, but I find that I feel my steadiest on a diet that is high in protein and healthy fats. I adore carbs but find I am my best when I don't overdo it.
Of course, everyone reacts to food in different ways, and you should always work with your health team to discover what works best for you. (I have plenty of friends that thrive on a high carb vegan diet. I am actually pretty jealous of this.)
Today's Smokey Chicken with Avocado Sauce is just the kind of meal that leaves me feeling great. Rich in protein and the right kind of fat, this is a meal that really keeps me satisfied.
I like to serve it over zucchini noodles for a low-carb option, but if you do well with pasta, I say go for it.
How to Make Chicken with Avocado Sauce
Step By Step Instructions for Grilled Chicken with Avocado
1 Make the Marinade
Combine the avocado oil, smoked paprika, onion powder, and salt in a small bowl.
2 Marinate Chicken
Place chicken in a large zip top plastic bag. Pour oil mixture over it. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
3 Make Sauce
Meanwhile, combine avocado, Greek Yogurt, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a blender.
Process until smooth.
Refrigerate until ready to serve or up to 24 hours
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Remove the chicken from that marinated and grill until cooked through, about 8 minutes per side. Serve To serve, plate the chicken, and top with avocado sauce.
Variations for This Recipe
- Add a teaspoon of minced garlic to the avocado sauce.
- Add ½ teaspoon lime zest.
- Use parsley in place of the cilantro.
Recommended Tools to Make Avocado Sauce for Chicken and Zucchini Noodles
As an Amazon Associate, I Earn From Qualified Sales
You May Also Like:
- Zucchini Pasta with Chicken Alfredo
- Greek Meatballs with Feta Sauce
- Avocado Pesto Chicken Salad Wraps
- Chocolate Mint Avocado Pudding
- Zucchini Ravioli Recipe
- Cheesy Bacon BBQ Chicken
Chicken with Avocado Sauce
Smokey Chicken with Avocado Sauce
- Grill Pan or Grill
Avocado Sauce for Chicken
- 1 avocado chopped
- ¼ cup Greek Yogurt or Mayo or Sour Cream
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice.
- zucchini for serving with zoodles
- In a small bowl combine oil, salt, smoked paprika and onion powder. Place chicken in a large zip top plastic bag and pour oil mixture over. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
Make the Sauce
- Meanwhile, make the avocado sauce by combining the avocado, Greek Yogurt, red onion cilantro, jalapeño and lime juice in a blender. Process until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill pan to medium heat. Remove chicken from marinate and place on grill pan. Cook about 8 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- To serve, place chicken on a plate and top with avocado sauce.