These Quick Pickled Onions are a delicious way to elevate your sandwiches, burgers, wraps, or salads! You can adjust them to your personal taste, making them either spicy or sweet pickled onions. My refrigerator is rarely without these Quick Pickled Red Onions and I think once you try them you will be the same way!
If you have followed my recipes for long, you know I am all about bold flavors in food.
It is so hard for me to develop simple recipes because I get in the kitchen and start to think, oh, I should add this…and this…and…
Before you know it, a six-ingredient recipe has turned into one with fifteen ingredients. Most often at least 30% of the ingredients are herbs and spices.
I am always looking for things to add a little kick to my meals. Even better: if this can be accomplished without a lot of effort.
I am almost never without roasted chickpeas on hand. They are such an easy way to jazz up a salad, and also make a healthy snack.
Another tool in my arsenal – these Quick Pickled Onions.
I seriously get upset when I don’t have them on hand.
Last week I made a big batch of these Quick Pickled Red Onions in the afternoon. I went to bed early that night and when I woke up they were gone.
Hubby had eaten an entire batch! Seriously, who does that?
How does one eat an entire onion in one sitting? Who keeps all that goodness to themselves?
I am embarrassed to say that I reacted in a way that most women would if their other half had eaten the last of the chocolate cake.
Anyhoowwww, I think you are going to love these pickled onions just as much as I do. (Although hopefully they will not cause the same conflict in your house that they did in mine.)
They come together with just a few minutes of effort and are the perfect way to elevate tacos, sandwiches, burgers, salads, and wraps.
I especially love them with red onions, but you can make these with any type of onion you have on hand. Sweet, white, even shallots. It is all good.
Make sure you check out the variations I give you below. You can easily make these hot and spicy or sweet with just a few adjustments.
What are your go-to staples that you use to make your meals delicious and easy?
Frequently Asked Questions About Quick Pickled Red Onions
Can You Pickle Red Onions?
Yes! Although you most often see quick pickled onions with white onions, you can pickle red onions in the same way. They make for a colorful addition to any meal.
How Do You Make Spicy Pickled Onions?
Add in two diced Jalapenos and one head of peeled garlic. Proceed with the recipe as usual. (This is especially great if you are going to use these in tacos and quesadillas.)
How Do You Make Sweet Pickled Onions?
For a sweeter onion, use Vidalia onions and increase the sweetener to 1/3 cup.
Tools for Making Quick Pickled Red Onions
Quick Pickled Onions
Quick Pickled Onions
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup or sweetener
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 red onions cut in half and sliced thin
- In a medium saucepan bring vinegars, maple syrup, peppercorns and sea salt to a boil.
- Add onions and return to a boil. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- Cover and allow to cool completely. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Tips for Making Easy Pickled Onions
- If your kids are like mine, you may want to use the vent fan on the stove while heating the vinegar. It has a way of permeating through the house. (Probably best not to make these right before you have a party!)
- To save time, use your food processor to slice the onions.
Serving Suggestions for Quick Pickled Red OnionsThese onions are the perfect way to liven up so many meals! Use them in wraps, sandwiches, burgers, salads and bowls.
Some Recipes They Are Great With:
- Add in the zest and juice from three limes and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- Add the juice of 1 orange.
- For a different twist, use white vinegar, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 whole cloves, 1 bay leaf and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
If You Like These Quick Pickled Red Onions You May Also Like:
- Grilled Vegetable & Quinoa Wraps
- California Club Sandwich
- Sweet Heat Avocado Toasts
- Homemade Dill Pickles
Other Pickled Vegetable Recipes to Try: