If you like to serve meals that are the perfect blend of delicious and nutritious, this Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is for you. It is easy to make, kids friendly, and packed with flavor. With cheddar and goat cheese in a creamy sauce, this recipe makes a great family meal.
Looking for dinner ideas that the whole family will love? You are going to love this broccoli casserole with quinoa.
It is made from all real food ingredients without sacrificing a smidgen of creamy goodness. The added crunch from the breadcrumbs are sure to leave you doing a little happy dance. It is pure comfort food that is perfect for those of you who have picky eaters.
Leftovers keep beautifully in the refrigerator or freezer and are perfect for weekday lunches.
Ingredients for Making Quinoa and Broccoli Casserole
Butter: I use unsalted butter, so I have better control over the salt.
Flour: I used gluten-free flour; you can use all-purpose flour if you are not gluten-free.
Milk: Use whatever milk you prefer.
Cheese: I like a blend of cheddar cheese and goat cheese. Feel free to play with this to match your family's preferences.
Seasonings: Garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper add just the right complexity of flavors to the dish. If you have little ones or are particularly sensitive to heat, you and omit the cayenne pepper.
Chicken: I use cooked chicken breasts, but chicken thighs would work as well.
Quinoa: The texture of white quinoa is better than that of red quinoa in casserole dishes.
Broccoli: To use fresh broccoli in this quinoa broccoli cheese bake, make sure you steam or blanch it first.
Breadcrumbs: Use gluten-free bread crumbs if necessary.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
- Add 10 ounces of frozen artichokes, thawed and chopped.
- Saute 1 cup diced onion and 8 ounces sliced mushrooms and add them to the chicken and broccoli mixture
- When you are cooking quinoa for casseroles and want the best texture, you can let it cool on a baking sheet. This helps to prevent it from getting gummy.
- If quinoa isn't your thing, feel free to substitute cooked brown or white rice. Millet, farro, or any other grain of you liking would also work.
- Want to make this a side dish? Just omit the chicken, and you have a delicious quinoa broccoli casserole.
Make it Vegan
To make this recipe vegan, use unsweetened almond milk, vegan butter, and vegan cheese. Substitute cooked and crumbled tempeh for the chicken.
With a grain, veggie, and protein, this broccoli quinoa casserole is a complete meal on its own. If you would like to serve it with a side, a simple green salad works well. Other suggestions include:
- Ninja Foodi Grill Asparagus or Air Fryer Asparagus
- Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
- Green Beans with Bacon
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can make this recipe up to a day ahead and cook it just before you plan on serving.
Let the casserole dish come to room temperature or put it in a cold oven and let the dish heat up with the oven. This will prevent the cold dish from cracking due to heating up too quickly.
Feel free to use whatever kind of bread crumbs you have on hand. Panko, regular, or gluten free all work. (I especially like the crunch from panko breadcrumbs.)
Tools Needed to Make Broccoli Cheese Quinoa Casserole
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Medium Saucepan
- Large (approximately 13 x 9) Casserole Dish
Store this quinoa and broccoli casserole in the refrigerator for up to four days.
You may freeze any leftovers for up to three months. (I like to do this in individual serving containers.) Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat in the oven or microwave.
More Quinoa Casseroles to Try:
- Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole works just as well for a busy weeknight as it does on your holiday table!
- Quinoa Mac and Cheese is rich, creamy and so satisfying!
- If you are looking for the perfect easy dinner, you are going to love this Sweet Potato Quinoa Casserole.
- Italian Quinoa Casserole is sure to become a favorite casserole recipe in your dinnertime rotation. All your favorite flavors in a delicious (and pretty) dish.
Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour gluten-free if necessary
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 3 ounces seasoned goat cheese crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ - ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 16 ounces cooked chicken
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli thawed and drained
- ½ cup breadcrumbs gluten-free if necessary
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray or brush it with oil.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring the milk to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook for 4 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and add in 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, goat cheese, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and stir in chicken, quinoa, and broccoli. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly. Allow to sit 10 minutes before serving.