It is pouring down rain this morning.
The kind of morning that makes you want to pull the covers over your head and sleep a little longer.
Only I can’t.
The car and trailer are packed, and the only thing I’m waiting on is the rest of the family to get up. We are headed on a road trip!
And you know what that means? Road trip food!!!
(Have you noticed a theme? Whether we are talking about football or travel, I am all about the food. )For a delicious snack try these #SlowCooker Curried Cashews & AlmondsClick To Tweet
One of my biggest goals, when we travel, is to make sure we eat as well as we can. I try to pack as many snacks and meals as I can.
That is not to say I don’t love splurges. Just not the kind that leaves me feeling bloated for days.
I love splurges, but not the kind that leaves me feeling bloated for days.
I need to feel as good as I can when I’m going to be in the car with three kids for a week.
These nuts are the perfect blend of sweet and spicy, with an indulgent feel that will leave you satisfied. (And keep you away from the chips.)
Slow Cooker Curried Cashews and Almonds
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or Earth Balance melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Spray slow cooker with olive or avocado oil.
- In a bowl whisk together honey, butter, curry powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Add cashews and almonds. Toss to coat. Transfer to the slow cooker and spread in an even layer. Cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook for another hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer nuts. Allow them to sit for 1 1/2 hours, until hard. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.