These Zucchini Quinoa Patties are a delicious version of quinoa patties that the whole family will love! This easy to make vegetarian quinoa recipe make a great main course or side dish!
Though most people love summer, growing up in central Florida July and August were months to be dreaded. Something about so much heat and humidity that steam comes off the road after an afternoon rain just isn't appealing. Though I'm all over the country these days, I still find myself getting really excited at the though of summer coming to an end.
Cooler weather, Gator football and fun times outside sans 100+ degree heat. I love everything about fall. Well, except that I always find myself missing all the amazing summer produce.
Yes, I love pumpkin and butternut squash, but I am never quite ready to give up perfect tomatoes or the endless supply of zucchini. Before we say goodbye to summer, I've got a great zucchini recipe for you from Jamey at Dabbles & Babbles.
Quinoa patties are one of my favorite ways to enjoy quinoa and these look especially good. Since so many of you are vegan and/or gluten free, I added instructions as to how to adapt the recipe, including my favorite way to make gluten free breadcrumbs. Once you've made the crumbs you can save any leftovers in a baggie in the freezer so that you have them on hand next time you need them.
Zucchini Quinoa Patties
- 2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked jasmine rice feel free to omit and just use 2 cups of quinoa
- 1 egg or 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons warm water
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup green onions
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated is best but use what you have or vegan parmesan
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons oil plus more for frying
FOR THE YOGURT SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt dairy, soy or coconut
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoons of freshly chopped oregano
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- If using flax egg, combine ground flax seeds with warm water and set aside.
- Combine and thoroughly mix all the yogurt sauce ingredients together and let sit in the fridge until the patties are ready to be served
- Sprinkle ¼ tsp of salt on the shredded zucchini, put in a colander and let sit to draw out any liquid.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and add garlic and green onions, ¼ tsp salt and pepper and cook until veggies are slightly soft. Remove from heat, drain off excess oil and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, panko, parmesan cheese and lemon zest. The mix in lemon juice, quinoa, rice, and cooked green onions and garlic. Add in egg and shredded zucchini. Mix everything together thoroughly and start forming balls (a little smaller than a golf ball) and then carefully flatten into a thick patty.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Heat oil (just enough to evenly cover the surface entirely) on medium-high heat in a large skillet. Carefully place patties into the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side until it starts to lightly brown and get a little crispy. Remove from pan and place to a paper towel covered plate. Dab off any excess oil with more paper towel.
- Move patties onto a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 15 minutes, turning over at about the halfway point.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly and serve with the chilled yogurt sauce on top.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like: