Simple recipes are hard for me to develop because I get in the kitchen and start to think, oh I should add this…and this…and…
Before you know it a six ingredient recipe has turned into fifteen.
One thing that saves me time when cooking for the family is to keep things on hand that are packed with flavor so that I can throw together a quick meal without having to sacrifice on taste.
I am almost never without roasted chickpeas. Another staple around my house is these Easy Pickled Red Onions.
My current go-to breakfast is a gluten free wrap with roasted garbanzos, Tzatziki sauce, spinach, tomatoes and these onions.
(Onions for breakfast not your thing? Yes, I’m weird. Try it for lunch, you won’t be sorry.)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons agave nectar, or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 red onions, cut in half and sliced thin
- In a medium saucepan bring vinegars, agave nectar, peppercorns and sea salt to a boil. Add onions and return to a boil. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Cover and allow to cool. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.