This post is part of the #thereciperedux where a group of bloggers make a recipe each month based around a central theme. This month, we all cooked with an ingredient we had never used before. Make sure you check out all of the great recipes below
For someone who has food as a central focus in their life, I’ve been somewhat sheltered. I had Chinese and Thai food for the first time in my mid-20’s. Brussel sprouts, asparagus, lentils and kale didn’t enter my diet until my 40’s.
There are still many things I’ve never cooked with, and this is something I’ve been trying to correct. I saw this recipe on Facebook and realized that I’ve never tried celeriac (or celery root). Jackfruit is still a mystery to me. I’ve never had pierogies or rutabaga. All things I need to try.
Perhaps the area of the grocery store where I feel the most lost is the Asian section. All those sauces and pastes! Even the simple things are a mystery to me. I love pasta, but I’ve never once considered buying Brown Rice Pad Thai Noodles.
I supposed it is because I consider pasta to be such a treat, and was afraid I’d be disappointed.
So, when challenged to cook with something I had never tried before as part of this month’s Recipe Redux, I decided it was time to give it a go.
Truthfully, I can’t believe I was scared.
I adored today’s Spicy Chicken & Veggie Noodle Bowl! I woke up this morning thinking about it, wishing that we still had leftovers. Sadly, we had it for lunch and dinner yesterday, and there were no leftovers to be found.
What food have you never tried?
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or gluten free tamari
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 8 oz Pad Thai Rice Noodles
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 3/4 pound shredded cooked chicken breast or tempeh
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a blender combine coconut aminos, lime juice, rice vinegar, peanut butter, sesame oil, garlic and Sriracha. Process until combined.
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add broccoli and cook for two minutes. Add carrots, red pepper and shredded chicken and cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and add to bowl with noodles. Toss with dressing and garnish with cilantro, sesame seeds and crushed red pepper flakes.