Shh…don’t tell the family. They will never know that this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe isn’t traditionally fried! Crispy and moist, this recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb and keto. Whew! Who knew healthy could taste so good?!
I am a Southern girl, so it probably comes at no surprise that I LOVE Fried Chicken.
That said, I think the last time that I made traditional fried chicken was fourteen years ago on my birthday.
It was raining that day, and I have vivid memories of my husband holding an umbrella over my Mom while she cooked it on the side burner to her grill.
I can’t remember precisely why, given the rain, we weren’t cooking inside.
Maybe because I hate how frying makes the house smell?
I’d like to think I wouldn’t have banished anyone to cook in the rain for something like that, but you never know.
Maybe my Mom’s stove was broken? I honestly can’t remember that part.
Today, I’ve got a recipe that I promise you will never need to cook outside. And guys….this one is going to blow you away.
This Air Fried Chicken Breast is…
It is rare that something surprises me as much as this dish did. My husband, who has a strong preference for dark meat was even blown away.
And, it is super-simple to make!
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Breast
1. Make the breading by tossing together the almond flour, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings.
2. Pound the chicken to a uniform thickness.
3. Whisk the eggs and then dip the chicken in the eggs.
4. Dredge in the breading mixture.
Tip: Almond flour isn’t quite as stick as regular flour, so you can use your hands to gently press any coating that falls off.
5. Spray your Air Fryer and cook! In less than 15 minutes, you’ve got crispy deliciousness that the family is going to love.
Frequently Asked Questions About Making an Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe:
Is Air Fried Chicken Healthy?
Yes! Even if you are following a Keto (high fat) diet, this is a healthier option. Although there are certainly healthy fats in which you could fry chicken, the challenge comes in maintaining the correct temperature and avoiding having the oil reaching its smoke point. (You can learn more about what happens when oils reach their smoke point HERE.). Air Frying is a great way to avoid having to be concerned with smoke points because the temperature is controlled. (And you aren’t using nearly as much oil!) .
Do I Have to Put Oil in an Air Fryer?
You don’t HAVE to put oil in an Air Fryer, but it is the best way to keep what you are cooking from sticking. I recommend lightly brushing or spraying oil on the bottom of the Air Fryer pan.
How Do You Clean an Air Fryer?
Different models will be cleaned in different ways, but I recommend letting your Air Fryer cool and then hand washing. Once my Air Fryer is washed and rinsed, I like to turn it back on for a few minutes to help it dry quickly.
Tools Recommended to Make This Recipe:
- Air Fryer – You can get them at multiple price points – Low, Medium, or High. (I’ve got my eye on the last one. I will keep you posted.)
- Shallow Breading Trays
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders (Gluten Free, Vegan Option)
- Gluten Free Meatballs Without Breadcrumbs
- Zucchini Fritters Recipe
- Healthy Chicken Nuggets
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- 16 ounces chicken breast
- 3/4 cups fermented pickle juice optional - I use Bubbies
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese see note
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sea salt or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- Avocado oil spray
- Wash chicken and place in a zip-top bag.
- Using a meat mallet, pound to a uniform thickness, about 1/2 inch.
- Place chicken in a bowl and pour pickle juice on top of it. Allow to brine in the refrigerator for up to two hours. (You may skip this step if desired.)
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees.
- In a shallow dish, combine almond flour, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate shallow dish, beat eggs.
- Drain chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Coat with eggs and then dregs in the almond flour mixture. Use your fingers to gently press the coating into the chicken. Spray both sides of the chicken with oil
- Spray the Air Fryer with oil, and add chicken. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Carefully flip with a spatula. Re-spray and cook an additional 6 to 7 minutes, until golden and crispy.
Tips & Tricks for Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Make Ahead: The chicken can be coated ahead of time and kept covered in the refrigerator for up to one day. You may also coat and freeze the chicken breast. To do this, place the coated chicken breast on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen solid, transfer to a freezer bag. When ready to cook, thaw on a plate in the refrigerator.
- The qualify of the Parmesan Cheese will impact the flavor of this recipe tremendously. I recommend buying a block of aged Parmesan if you can.
- Almond flour can stick more than traditional flours. Do not skip spraying the air fryer well! If some of the coating sticks when you flip it, you can use the spatula to get the stuck bits up and gently press back into the chicken. If you spray well the sticking should be minimal.
Variations for Air Fried Chicken
- Soak chicken in buttermilk instead of pickle juice.
- For a spicy kick, add two teaspoons (more or less to taste) of your favorite hot sauce to the egg mixture.
- Not watching carbs and don’t have almond flour? Any flour will work.
Don't have an Air Fryer? Make Oven Fried Chicken
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Carefully flip with a spatula.
- Cook an additional 20 minutes.
Helpful Air Frying Resources: