I think you will love these Air Fryer Chicken Wings just as much as I do! They don't require a special occasion to make, with less than 10 minutes of hands-on time! Toss with your favorite wing sauce or enjoy them plain.
No Air Fryer? I've got oven-baked instructions too!
Wings are a football season tradition, but I think they work just as well for a family movie night or pool party.
These Air Fryer Chicken Wings are a classic recipe that works perfectly for casual entertaining.
Traditionally fried foods like chicken wings are perfect in the air fryer. You get crispy chicken wings with all the flavor of deep-frying without the mess or oil.
I like to think of them as a blank slate. Chicken wings are delicious served just as they are.
And they are also fabulous dressed up with sauces and dips. (Because everything is better with sauces and dips. My go-to dips are ranch or blue cheese dressing.)
Chicken wings in the air fryer make a great appetizer, but I'll often double this recipe and make it a meal.
Served with french fries or potatoes, celery sticks, and a dip, it is an easy dinner that makes everyone happy.
- Chicken Wings: You can use flats or drumettes.
- Baking Powder: Make sure you choose non-aluminum baking powder and that it is fresh to avoid an off-putting taste. The baking powder helps the wings get crispy but is optional.
- Seasonings: A simple blend of salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and fresh ground black pepper adds just the right amount of flavor.
Tips & Tricks
- The most important thing to remember when making chicken wings in the air fryer is to make sure you do not overcrowd the wings. This will prevent them from getting crispy and can also lead to uneven cooking.
- Have a large family? Air Fryer Oven Chicken Wings may be the way to go for you because the capacity on an air fryer oven is much larger than that of the basket style.
- When air frying, remember that air fryers vary in intensity, so you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly.
- For the crispiest wings, spray them with avocado oil or olive oil just before cooking.
Sauces for Wings
- Buffalo Sauce
- Honey BBQ Glaze
- Mustard Sauce
- Honey Mustard
- BBQ Sauce
How Many Wings Can You Cook in an Air Fryer?
That is going to depend entirely on your Air Fryer.
I have five air fryers, and all of them have different capacities.
The Breville Smart Oven Air Fry, which is a large capacity oven that can handle the entire recipe but the rest do not.
Most air fryers will require that you cook these in batches.
No, unlike frying in traditional oil, an air fryer does not smell up the house, provided you keep the air fryer and its fans clean.
There is a reason that it is many peoples favorite kitchen appliance.
Every air fryer is a little different, but it will take about 20 minutes to cook wings in the air fryer.
Yes, it is perfectly fine to put raw chicken - or any other meat - in the air fryer.
No, unlike the Instant Pot which is great for stacking, you need to avoid overcrowding your air fryer. Overcrowding will prevent the wings from getting crispy and can also cause them to cook unevenly.
Yes, this recipe can be part of a keto diet. If you want, you can reduce the baking powder or omit it altogether.
To keep air crisp chicken wings keto, make sure you check the ingredients of any sauces you add. Hot sauce is usually low carb, but other sauces can have carbs.
Yes, bake these chicken wings in a 400 degrees F oven for about 45 minutes. Flip the wings halfway through.
Tools Needed to Make Perfect Air Fryer Wings
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from Qualifying Sales.
- Zip Top Bags
- Air Fryer
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Preheat - Preheat your Air Fryer to 400 degrees.
Dry - Remove as much moisture as possible from the wings by patting them with paper towels. Place them in a zip top bag.
Mix Seasonings - In a small bowl, stir together the baking powder, garlic powder, sea salt, paprika and black pepper.
Toss - Add the seasoning mixture to the bag and shake to coat.
Spray -Spray the chicken with oil.
Cook - Place the wings in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing after 10 minutes, or until the skin is crispy and the wings are cooked through. The internal temperature on the inside should be 165° F.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Everyone agrees these Air Fryer Chicken Legs make a delicious family meal.
- Air Fryer Empanadas are surprisingly easy to make and so good.
- When you need a fast meal and are craving something crispy, these Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets are perfect!
- This Air Fryer Burger is quick to make and even quicker to disappear!
- Air fryer pecans are always a hit when you need a delicious snack or easy appetizer.
Air Fried Chicken Wings
- 1 pound chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Pat the wings with paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Place the wings in a zip top plastic bag.
- In a small bowl stir together baking powder, garlic powder, sea salt, paprika, and black pepper.
- Add the seasoning mixture to the bag and shake to coat.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and spray well with oil.
- Place the wings in your air fryer. (Depending on the model of your fryer, you may need to cook in batches.)
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing after 10 minutes, or until the outset skin is crispy and the wings are cooked through.
Oven Baked Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the wings on the parchment paper. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the outer skin is crispy.
This is a great recipe! We love air fryer wings. One thing I do is after the cooking time, I put the wings in a bowl and toss with the buffalo sauce. Put back in the air fryer and cook an additional 4-6 minutes. The sauce is just the perfect amount with out it being drenched! Yummy!
Yes!!! I am all about the sauces.
Looks lovely will try them I love chicken wings
Thank you! I hope that you enjoy them.
Oh my goodness - fixed the wings and buffalo wing sauce last night! It was all so delicious. Being relatively new to air frying, I was nervous because the wings were quite large. I found the batches came out great with your recommendations. The buffalo sauce is the best I've ever had. And with 2 wings left over this morning, the thickened up sauce was even more flavorful for my breakfast!! Wish I had more wings ready, but will find something else to use the sauce with! Thank you!!
I am so glad you enjoyed it! This is a favorite of ours too!
Would this work with thigh filets?
Yes! For boneless I'd recommend 400 degrees for about 5 minutes per side. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure the correct temperature.
Chicken wings are the best. Especially cooked in the air fryer.
Delicious! Will definitely be making again! Thanks for sharing.
Loved the simple seasoning on these!
Thanks a lot for this amazing and super easy to make chicken wings recipe! It's really tasty and very flavorful! Will surely have this again! Highly recommended!