Indulge your taste buds with a mouth-watering Air Fryer Reuben Sandwich. This scrumptious sandwich is filled with flavorful corned beef, tangy sauerkraut, and sharp Swiss cheese. The simple thousand island dressing on rye bread adds a perfect finishing touch to this delicious meal. Toasted to perfection in the air fryer, this sandwich is sure to leave you craving more.
Are you craving a classic Reuben sandwich but don't want to deal with all the hassle of cooking it on the stovetop or grill?
Look no further than your trusty air fryer! Making a Reuben sandwich in an air fryer is not only easy and convenient, but it also yields delicious results.
The combination of juicy corned beef, tangy sauerkraut, melty Swiss cheese, and creamy Russian dressing nestled between two slices of toasted rye bread is irresistible.
And with the help of your air fryer, you can whip up this mouthwatering meal with minimal prep time.
Follow along, and I'll teach you how to make this deliciously easy recipe.
- Mayonnaise: For the best results, use a high-quality mayonnaise, like Primal Kitchen (or your favorite brand) for your Reuben sandwich.
- Ketchup: Use your favorite brand of ketchup.
- Dill Pickles: You could use pickle relish, but I just chop my own. My go-to brand is Bubbies.
- Rye Bread: You can use seeded or unseeded rye bread.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter works well here. Make sure it is softened to room temperature for easy spreading, or brush the bread with melted butter if you find that easier.
- Corned beef: Use a high-quality deli-sliced corned beef or roast your own. You could use pastrami if you prefer.
- Sauerkraut: You can buy it in the grocery store or make your own at home!
- Swiss cheese: Deli-style swiss makes this sandwich so easy. For milder flavor, mozzarella cheese is a good alternative.
Step By Step Instructions
Tips and Tricks
- A basket-style air fryer will cook a bit faster than an oven-style and get the bread a bit more toasted. If you are using an air fryer oven, you will want to increase the cooking time to approximately 12 to 14 minutes.
- If you are using very thick bread, you may want to increase the cooking time to make sure that the meat is heated through and you have melted cheese.
- To mix things up, add a few slices of avocado or some bacon!
- You may need to cook in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
This sandwich is best enjoyed immediately. However, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can reheat it on a baking sheet in the oven, in a skillet on the stovetop, or in your air fryer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Reheat a Reuben Sandwich in an Air Fryer?
Reheating a Reuben sandwich in the air fryer is super convenient and easy. Simply preheat your air fryer to 350°F and cook for 4 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
How do you keep a Reuben from getting soggy?
The key to keeping a Reuben sandwich from getting soggy is to make sure the ingredients are well insulated between the two slices of bread. Layer corned beef, cheese, and sauerkraut in that order and you won't have any problems!
Can You Use Other Types of Bread for a Reuben Sandwich?
Yes! You can absolutely use other types of bread, though keep in mind that rye bread is key for that traditional reuben flavor.
A sourdough or even a ciabatta roll would be delicious! Just make sure the bread is thick enough to hold all the ingredients without getting too soggy.
Can I Substitute Sauerkraut for Something Else?
Yes, you can definitely substitute sauerkraut for something else if you don't like the taste. Coleslaw makes a great alternative, as does quick-pickled red cabbage.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- 30-Minute air fryer chicken empanadas are an easy weeknight meal that your family will beg you to make again and again.
- When you need a crave-worthy side dish without heating up the oven, air fryer mac and cheese is perfect.
- Easy main course dishes don't get any better than these air fryer chicken legs.
- Looking for a wholesome dish that everyone will love? These keto air fryer chicken breasts are perfect.
20-Minute Air Fryer Reuben
- Air Fryer
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 dill pickles finely chopped
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- ¼ pound sliced corned beef
- ¾ cup sauerkraut
- 3 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, and dill pickles.
- Spread the butter on one side of the bread and the sauce on the other.
- Place two slices of bread on a cutting board or plate, butter side down.
- Divide the corned beef between the slices of bread on top of the sauce.
- Add the cheese on top of the corned beef, and then add the sauerkraut.
- Top with another piece of bread, butter side up. Use a skewer to secure if desired.
- Repeat to make the second sandwich.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 ° F.
- Cook the sandwiches for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, flipping halfway through.